rjac
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've been going over questions for my final exams next week and found this
"How are changes to precipitation levels going to affect different drainage basins? (12)"
I know I'm supposed to be talking about the Yukon and Amazon river basins but past that I'm lost. Any advice/input appreciated.
al131859
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rjac)
I've been going over questions for my final exams next week and found this
"How are changes to precipitation levels going to affect different drainage basins? (12)"
I know I'm supposed to be talking about the Yukon and Amazon river basins but past that I'm lost. Any advice/input appreciated.
So talk about the Madeira basin in the Amazon rainforest. I would mention all of the physical factors, such as temperature, relief and geology. So temperatures are high in the TRF so high convectional rainfall. The higher rainfall means higher humidity so higher return to atmopshere fro further precipitation. Then go on to link this to the drainage basin- what happens when there is more rain? Link this to relief too, such as the steep slope in the West Andes of the drainage basin as opposed to the rest of the TRF that is lowlands and flat- think about the two types of overland flow. Make sure to think about increases AND decreases in the precipitation rates. For example a fall in the rates of precipitation such as due to deforestation (think feedback loops) would lead to dry soils that cannot absob rainfall. It might also be good to consider natural short term variation. I know this is minimal for the TRF as it is a constant high rate of rainfall, but mentioning that would get you more marks for understandin A01. I hope that helps a bit!!
rjac
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by al131859)
So talk about the Madeira basin in the Amazon rainforest. I would mention all of the physical factors, such as temperature, relief and geology. So temperatures are high in the TRF so high convectional rainfall. The higher rainfall means higher humidity so higher return to atmopshere fro further precipitation. Then go on to link this to the drainage basin- what happens when there is more rain? Link this to relief too, such as the steep slope in the West Andes of the drainage basin as opposed to the rest of the TRF that is lowlands and flat- think about the two types of overland flow. Make sure to think about increases AND decreases in the precipitation rates. For example a fall in the rates of precipitation such as due to deforestation (think feedback loops) would lead to dry soils that cannot absob rainfall. It might also be good to consider natural short term variation. I know this is minimal for the TRF as it is a constant high rate of rainfall, but mentioning that would get you more marks for understandin A01. I hope that helps a bit!!
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed