how does the grading system work at university and what are exams like ?

Watch
mariaisstudying
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
how are people graded? what does 2:1 mean? what are exams like, specifically for humanities subjects? i feel like i’ve had no information regarding this and when people throw terms like 2:1, 2:2 etc... i’m just really confused lol
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually:

1st class honours: >70%
Upper 2nd class honours (aka 2:1 or 2:i, called a two-one): 60-69%
Lower 2nd class honours (aka 2:2): 50-59%
3rd class honours: 40-49%
Fail: < 40%

This system is fairly consistent across universities in the UK, however the proportion of people getting each degree classification varies between university and subject. A First is fairly common for STEM courses, but quite rare for law. Proportion of Firsts being awarded has doubled in the past ten years too.

Some universities round up percentages if they're close to the next higher one, e.g. someone getting 69.5% getting awarded a First.

Humanities subjects will probably have a lot of coursework instead of lots of end-of-year exams, but depends on the university. Getting above 80% is very rare for humanities subjects.

This doesn't apply to medicine or postgraduate courses.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
mariaisstudying
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Usually:

1st class honours: >70%
Upper 2nd class honours (aka 2:1 or 2:i, called a two-one): 60-69%
Lower 2nd class honours (aka 2:2): 50-59%
3rd class honours: 40-49%
Fail: < 40%

This system is fairly consistent across universities in the UK, however the proportion of people getting each degree classification varies between university and subject. A First is fairly common for STEM courses, but quite rare for law. Proportion of Firsts being awarded has doubled in the past ten years too.

Some universities round up percentages if they're close to the next higher one, e.g. someone getting 69.5% getting awarded a First.

Humanities subjects will probably have a lot of coursework instead of lots of end-of-year exams, but depends on the university. Getting above 80% is very rare for humanities subjects.

This doesn't apply to medicine or postgraduate courses.
thank u so much, i wish other websites were this clear when explaining stuff like that
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mariaisstudying)
thank u so much, i wish other websites were this clear when explaining stuff like that
What course are you planning on applying for?
mariaisstudying
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
What course are you planning on applying for?
history and sociology joint hons
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed