Where did you enjoy working part-time?

Watch
KKhamun
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I'm looking for a job to do over the summer (maybe longer but I just need some experience for a start) but I've found a lot of the jobs I've looked at are only for Saturdays - I'm assuming because fewer people want to work on the weekend.

Are there any specific places I should try? At the moment I've been checking out retail jobs - primark in particular as there are quite a few vacancies near me. I don't mind doing stock or packaging online orders type of work but I'm coming up blank.

Another problem often is the total hours p/w as it's often around 4 however at this point, I kinda just need something so I don't mind which store/place/hours.

Any recommendations? TIA.
ecocovini
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KKhamun)
Hi! I'm looking for a job to do over the summer (maybe longer but I just need some experience for a start) but I've found a lot of the jobs I've looked at are only for Saturdays - I'm assuming because fewer people want to work on the weekend.

Are there any specific places I should try? At the moment I've been checking out retail jobs - primark in particular as there are quite a few vacancies near me. I don't mind doing stock or packaging online orders type of work but I'm coming up blank.

Another problem often is the total hours p/w as it's often around 4 however at this point, I kinda just need something so I don't mind which store/place/hours.

Any recommendations? TIA.
Hiya,

I worked as a barista for nearly 2 years which was a fantastic first job. I would definitely recommend working in a coffee shop, there are so many new skills you learn and its great in terms of experience in customer service and "people skills". My shifts tended to be anywhere from 5-8 hours, I don't know if this is the same for all coffee shops.

Hope this helped!
KKhamun
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecocovini)
Hiya,

I worked as a barista for nearly 2 years which was a fantastic first job. I would definitely recommend working in a coffee shop, there are so many new skills you learn and its great in terms of experience in customer service and "people skills". My shifts tended to be anywhere from 5-8 hours, I don't know if this is the same for all coffee shops.

Hope this helped!
That is helpful. Thank you for the info! Did you find it quite easy to pickup? - I’ve always thought it would be a bit stressful tbh.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a demand for delivery jobs in online catering. Just-Eat, Uber Eats etc. check your local restaurants and takeaways.

I did not enjoy any of my part-time roles. I did them for the experience, money and career prospects. In that regard, it turned out fine. If enjoyment takes precedence for you, you are in for disappointment. Most customer service roles are soul destroying - but they will at least open your eyes a bit and introduce you to the real world.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
KKhamun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
There's a demand for delivery jobs in online catering. Just-Eat, Uber Eats etc. check your local restaurants and takeaways.

I did not enjoy any of my part-time roles. I did them for the experience, money and career prospects. In that regard, it turned out fine. If enjoyment takes precedence for you, you are in for disappointment. Most customer service roles are soul destroying - but they will at least open your eyes a bit and introduce you to the real world.
Haha no I’m just working for money and experience so I’m not expecting to majorly enjoy it but I don’t want it to be a drag like school was for me.

Unfortunately I don’t have any means of doing a delivery job yet otherwise that would be fairly high up on my list!
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha no I’m just working for money and experience so I’m not expecting to majorly enjoy it but I don’t want it to be a drag like school was for me.

Unfortunately I don’t have any means of doing a delivery job yet otherwise that would be fairly high up on my list!
You don't need a car. You can do local deliveries on a bike. Plenty of Uber Eats on bike. I order from KFC all the time and other nearby places. They always come via bicycle and very fast as well which I did not expect. Alternatively have a look at doing the rounds with Royal Mail.
KKhamun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
You don't need a car. You can do local deliveries on a bike. Plenty of Uber Eats on bike. I order from KFC all the time and other nearby places. They always come via bicycle and very fast as well which I did not expect. Alternatively have a look at doing the rounds with Royal Mail.
Yh I meant I don’t have a bike. I’ll have a look at Royal Mail though!
ecocovini
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is helpful. Thank you for the info! Did you find it quite easy to pickup? - I’ve always thought it would be a bit stressful tbh.
It is all quite easy to pick up; there are a lot of different skills but they will start from the basics (till work, cleaning tables) to make sure you are always doing something and then build up quite quickly to making coffee.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
28.66%
No (229)
71.34%

Watched Threads