charxxhaikyuu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do you draw a line of best fit on a temperature-rate of photosynthesis graph? Is it a straight line or do you just draw a line straight through all the points as they are not in a line?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a line of best fit only has to be straight if the relationship is linear (a constant change). temperature and rate of photosynthesis aren't linearly related because at first temperate rise = more photosynethesis, then the rise gets smaller, then it starts to become negative as the temperature starts to denature the enzymes, right?
charxxhaikyuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
a line of best fit only has to be straight if the relationship is linear (a constant change). temperature and rate of photosynthesis aren't linearly related because at first temperate rise = more photosynethesis, then the rise gets smaller, then it starts to become negative as the temperature starts to denature the enzymes, right?
Thats exactly what I thought, so I am pretty sure it would just be a line that goes straight through all the points, which creates a curve
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by charxxhaikyuu)
Thats exactly what I thought, so I am pretty sure it would just be a line that goes straight through all the points, which creates a curve
yes, but remember, smooth line rather than sticking to each of the points. having a bit of deviation between the actual points and the line is fine - i think its called error (ie your experiment isn't perfect, but the line still captures the relationship)
Last edited by HoldThisL; 1 month ago
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If a smooth curve fits through all the point then go for that, otherwise you can try a curve which has the points roughly equidistant each side of the line. Statistically it’s quite complex to calculate lines of best fit and all the more so for curvilinear relationships
charxxhaikyuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
yes, but remember, smooth line rather than sticking to each of the points. having a bit of deviation between the actual points and the line is fine - i think its called error (ie your experiment isn't perfect, but the line still captures the relationship)
Should it also begin from 0? Sorry that I am asking a lot but I just want to make sure I 100% get it correct haha.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by charxxhaikyuu)
Should it also begin from 0? Sorry that I am asking a lot but I just want to make sure I 100% get it correct haha.
yes it can start at 0 on either the x and/or y axis, but only if that's what you measurements show. if the data you have suggests there is still some photosynthesis at 0degreesC then you just go with what the data says
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed