The Student Room Group

Need help with my GCSE maths higher calculator paper 2

I’m doing my maths exam and I need help with the questions, can someone help me?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lizzz9809
I’m doing my maths exam and I need help with the questions, can someone help me?

The attachments are not loading
(edited 2 years ago)
Box 1. It is smaller than

If SA = 200
the sides are 2(5*5) + 4(5*y)
200 = 50 +20y
150 = 20y
y = 7.5

If SA is smaller then
>200 = 50 + 20y
>150 = 20y
Therefore 20y is less than 150
Therefore y is less
Therefore the volume is smaller
Original post by Chburashka
(a) Total SA = 50 + 20y = 200, so y = 7.5cm
Volume = 5*5*7.5 = 187.5(cm^3)
(b) It is smaller

You got the right answer but in completely the wrong way. (Just luck)
Part a makes you assume that SA is 200 and then (as you did) you can work out y and then the volume.
So you did part A correct

Part b then says that the SA is less than 200. What does this do to the volume in comparison to part A
You just measured whether the volume is greater than or less than the surface area
You were meant to see whether the volume is bigger or smaller when the surface area is smaller
(a) Total SA = 50 + 20y = 200, so y = 7.5cm
Volume = 5*5*7.5 = 187.5(cm^3)
(b) It is smaller

Original post by OJlongley
You got the right answer but in completely the wrong way. (Just luck)
Part a makes you assume that SA is 200 and then (as you did) you can work out y and then the volume.
So you did part A correct

Part b then says that the SA is less than 200. What does this do to the volume in comparison to part A
You just measured whether the volume is greater than or less than the surface area
You were meant to see whether the volume is bigger or smaller when the surface area is smaller

Thankyou very much, could I get more help with the other questions
Reply 5
Thankyou very much, could I get more help with the other questions

These look like the 2020 (locked) exam paper. Are the questions publically availlable, if so could you provide a link?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by OJlongley

Can you pls read the sticky at the top of the forum about providing hints, not solutions.
Reply 7
No, t...

Gives that its a locked / mock paper, can you pls delete your posts and not continue to give answers. The OP has provided zero working.
The thread has obviously been reported.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Gives that its a locked / mock paper, can you pls delete your posts and not continue to give answers. The OP has provided zero working.
The thread has obviously been reported.

Apologies, I was not aware of this.
Reply 9
Apologies, I was not aware of this.

could you send me it please?
Original post by mqb2766
These look like the 2020 (locked) exam paper. Are the questions publically availlable, if so could you provide a link?

Hi, I’m not sure I know there are from a 2020 paper, however i don’t have the paper, just these questions
Hi, I’m not sure I know there are from a 2020 paper, however i don’t have the paper, just these questions

The code at the bottom of the images clearly said June 2020.
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
The code at the bottom of the images clearly said June 2020.

can i get the code please

Quick Reply

Latest