Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
when do you think is the best time to start driving for someone who’d like to start driving relatively quickly but also balance a levels?

i know you have to get the provision thing a couple months before you’re 17 so when would be the best time after gcse’s (beginning of a levels)?
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
when do you think is the best time to start driving for someone who’d like to start driving relatively quickly but also balance a levels?

i know you have to get the provision thing a couple months before you’re 17 so when would be the best time after gcse’s (beginning of a levels)?
You can apply for a provisional licence once you've reached the age of 15 years 9 months.

You can start learning in a car once you turn 17.

My experience is that learning new skills is easier when you're younger. Obviously you'll need to fit this around school/college and a part-time job if you have one. And of course you'll need to be able to afford the lessons.
MechanicalOnion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
You can apply for a provisional licence once you've reached the age of 15 years 9 months.

You can start learning in a car once you turn 17.

My experience is that learning new skills is easier when you're younger. Obviously you'll need to fit this around school/college and a part-time job if you have one. And of course you'll need to be able to afford the lessons.
I thought you could start leaning in a car at 15 years and 9 months. 17 is when you can hold a full license and drive on your own accord.
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MechanicalOnion)
I thought you could start leaning in a car at 15 years and 9 months. 17 is when you can hold a full license and drive on your own accord.
That's not correct. See https://www.gov.uk/learn-to-drive-a-car

I assume that the 15 years 9 months is to give time for the licence to be issued by the time you turn 16.

You can ride a moped on a provisional licence from age 16.

You can start learning to drive a car on the roads from age 17 (or 16 if you get the mobility component of PIP).
eloisecs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi!
I started learning as soon as I turned 17 in November and did private practice over lockdown whilst balancing 3 a levels, 2 part time jobs and sports. I have my driving test next week and I'm fairly prepared, if COVID hadn't stopped me I probably would have passed by christmas and with enough practice with family (if you can) you shouldnt need too many lessons. I have had about 10 driving lessons with an instructor just for reference but my dad has basically taught me how to drive!

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (68)
30.77%
No (153)
69.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed