Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've narrowed down my medicine offers to just UCL and Manchester but I'm really not sure which one to pick between the two.

I think on paper UCL looks like the better choice, it has a great reputation and some amazing teaching hospitals. Living in London sounds really exciting; but it's really expensive. I also worry about how intense it's gonna be, UCL seems to attract heavy academics & a medicine course is stressful enough as it is! The main thing I prefer at UCL is the range of SSCs they offer, as Manchester's don't seem to be as varied.
On the other hand, I really prefer the Manchester campus since it feels like more of a community, and I can afford much nicer accommodation & still have more money than I would if I go to UCL. Ik the course is PBL here but idm as I don't really have a preference. I've been to both cities & due to cost and the general vibe, I feel like Manchester may be more fun as an undergrad student? But I don't want to waste the opportunity I've been given by UCL since it seems to have such great teaching & reputation, and not everyone is given that chance. I just don't wanna regret wherever I pick ://

So yeah could anyone pls give me advice? If you've studied at either/both unis, or if you've studied medicine at either that would be even better!
I'd like to decide by next week (probably) so I have enough time to sort out accommodation and student finance forms etc. thx
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ecolier may be able to advise (and move this into the appropriate forum, as this is not an "everyday issue").

At the end of the day which medical school you go to won't really make a difference for your medical career, as they're all equal in the eyes of the NHS, which is the only provider of graduate medical training. So "reputation" is pretty meaningless. Pick the course you prefer and where you would rather spend 5-6 years living and studying/working in.
Bambi_02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've narrowed down my medicine offers to just UCL and Manchester but I'm really not sure which one to pick between the two.

I think on paper UCL looks like the better choice, it has a great reputation and some amazing teaching hospitals. Living in London sounds really exciting; but it's really expensive. I also worry about how intense it's gonna be, UCL seems to attract heavy academics & a medicine course is stressful enough as it is! The main thing I prefer at UCL is the range of SSCs they offer, as Manchester's don't seem to be as varied.
On the other hand, I really prefer the Manchester campus since it feels like more of a community, and I can afford much nicer accommodation & still have more money than I would if I go to UCL. Ik the course is PBL here but idm as I don't really have a preference. I've been to both cities & due to cost and the general vibe, I feel like Manchester may be more fun as an undergrad student? But I don't want to waste the opportunity I've been given by UCL since it seems to have such great teaching & reputation, and not everyone is given that chance. I just don't wanna regret wherever I pick ://

So yeah could anyone pls give me advice? If you've studied at either/both unis, or if you've studied medicine at either that would be even better!
I'd like to decide by next week (probably) so I have enough time to sort out accommodation and student finance forms etc. thx
ok glad im not the only one still struggling to pick aha. i have offers for medicine at exeter and manchester and can't decide. its so easy for people to say prestige or rankings don't matter but I completely understand what you mean by you feel like you're wasting an opportunity 😥 if you have any advice for me that'd be helpful as I'm from outside the UK so I'm not sure what the general opinion about these two schools is from the perspective of someone in the UK. Sorry I'm no real help to you xx
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bambi_02)
ok glad im not the only one still struggling to pick aha. i have offers for medicine at exeter and manchester and can't decide. its so easy for people to say prestige or rankings don't matter but I completely understand what you mean by you feel like you're wasting an opportunity 😥 if you have any advice for me that'd be helpful as I'm from outside the UK so I'm not sure what the general opinion about these two schools is from the perspective of someone in the UK. Sorry I'm no real help to you xx
The thing is that medicine is the one subject that "prestige" really doesn't matter whatsoever. Foundation placement is determined by an algorithm and doesn't take into account your medical school, and specialty recruitment after the foundation programme should not prejudice applicants on the basis of which medical school they studied at, and may well be done "blind" so the recruiters interviewing and/or making the decision don't know what medical school you went to specifically. It's literally the least important factor when choosing between medical schools.

Things that are worth considering are the course and how it's taught (as this can vary widely between medical schools), placement locations, whether there is early clinical contact or not, intercalation opportunities (or requirements), university facilities in general (e.g. sporting facilities, clubs and societies etc), location generally including cost of living there and transport links (outside of placements, as you will be in the region if not the city the uni is based in for the better part of 5 to 6 years), among other potential factors.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bambi_02)
...its so easy for people to say prestige or rankings don't matter but I completely understand what you mean by you feel like you're wasting an opportunity 😥...
Actually, I would argue that it's much easier to say the "mainstream" belief that tell you that of course you should pick UCL, it's much more reputable.

But that's not true, and it's misleading. So if you wanted us to mislead you, pick UCL because of its' reputation.

Saying that, for an international medical career the name of the medical school may affect your career so you may want to consider that. If you wanted to work in the UK for the rest of your life though - it shouldn't matter at all. Listen to those people who are actually in the profession and trust us.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads