Change university course? Pharmacy -> Radiography

Watch
throwawaypharm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I accepted a place on a Pharmacy course in December but now, after much thought and consideration, I’m beginning to regret it. I’m really interested in the subject but after seeing numerous articles about it being a dying profession and a really bad job to go into, I’ve lost my enthusiasm for the course.

I’m quite interested in Diagnostic Radiography as well and there’s a course at the same university I’ve accepted a place at. Would it be possible to email my university and ask to change? or will I need to wait until 2022/2023 UCAS applications.
CaitTopaz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you would have to wait another year.

Radiography is a relatively popular course, which makes it hard to get a place. Most, if not all, unis require an interview, which helps allocate offers. Since you won't have done a related Personal Statement and had an interview, I think it would be very difficult to get a place for Sept.

If Rad is your passion, then apply next time.

But: If your heart is set on pharmacy. Do it. If you work hard then I'm sure you'll make a success of it.
username19412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't listen to the user above. Radiography is a popular course but nowhere near as popular as medicine/dentistry/economics. You could phone them up and ask whether they are usually into clearing for the course and whether it would be possible to convert the course assuming you meet the conditions. If not there will be plenty of good universities available in clearing for diagnostic radiography.
Last edited by username19412; 1 month ago
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CaitTopaz)
But: If your heart is set on pharmacy. Do it. If you work hard then I'm sure you'll make a success of it.
Isn't this a bit like saying "If repairing televisions is your passion -work hard and I'm sure it will work out"?

It doesn't matter how much you are into something - if the technology or market shifts around you and you're left in a dead industry, all that passion and interest won't pay the bills.
username19412
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Isn't this a bit like saying "If repairing televisions is your passion -work hard and I'm sure it will work out"?

It doesn't matter how much you are into something - if the technology or market shifts around you and you're left in a dead industry, all that passion and interest won't pay the bills.
I don't think it's a dying profession. There is a reason why top universities such as UCL/KCL/Nottingham still offer the course so I don't think it is 'dying'. As long as you work more it should be good. A lot of people who go into pharmacy assume it will be similar pay as medicine with less work (which is not true) as well as parent pressure (next best option after doctor) and don't do it because they're actually interested in the subject, and then complain later down the line doing a profession that they hate.

OP, if you're passionate about pharmacy I would advice you to carry on with it.
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there's still some radiography courses in ucas extra, you have nothing to lose by ringing around and asking if there is a chance you'd be accepted if you were to apply. Some might be willing to let you submit a new personal statement too.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username19412)
I don't think it's a dying profession. There is a reason why top universities such as UCL/KCL/Nottingham still offer the course so I don't think it is 'dying'. As long as you work more it should be good. A lot of people who go into pharmacy assume it will be similar pay as medicine with less work (which is not true) as well as parent pressure (next best option after doctor) and don't do it because they're actually interested in the subject, and then complain later down the line doing a profession that they hate.

OP, if you're passionate about pharmacy I would advice you to carry on with it.
The reason universities are offering it is because people are stupid enough to pay them to do it.

There are far too many people reading pharmacy because their families have told them it's a surefire profession and guaranteed money. They're wrong and most likely will bear none of the consequences of their poor advice.
throwawaypharm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kogomogo)
I think there's still some radiography courses in ucas extra, you have nothing to lose by ringing around and asking if there is a chance you'd be accepted if you were to apply. Some might be willing to let you submit a new personal statement too.
I don’t have access to Clearing/Extra because I’ve already accepted a place on a course. I’d have to withdraw from the Pharmacy course but my parents think it’s too much of a risk and really don’t want me to take a gap year :/ Everyone I’ve talked to about it are telling me to just do the year of Pharmacy and if I don’t get into Radiography then I’ll still be on a course.

I really don’t want to disappoint anyone which is why I was hoping to just email and see if I could switch without having to apply formally through UCAS, I’d happily write another statement for it. But then if I can’t do the course, I don’t want the university to tell me I can’t do Pharmacy because I’ve asked to switch because my parents won’t be happy
throwawaypharm
Rep:
?
(Original post by username19412)
Don't listen to the user above. Radiography is a popular course but nowhere near as popular as medicine/dentistry/economics. You could phone them up and ask whether they are usually into clearing for the course and whether it would be possible to convert the course assuming you meet the conditions. If not there will be plenty of good universities available in clearing for diagnostic radiography.
I actually don’t have access to Clearing because I’ve accepted a place on the Pharmacy course, I’d have to withdraw from the course. I know that seems like the right option, considering I don’t really want to do Pharmacy but I just know my parents would prefer I do the year of Pharmacy and apply to Diagnostic Radiography next year, if I don’t get in, at least I’ll be on a course.

They’re talking non-stop about how proud they are of me doing this course and I just want to make them proud :/ In all honesty, I don’t even feel ready for university. I’ll only be 17 when I’m going and moving almost 2 hours away from home...

Do you think I can email and see if I could switch without having to apply formally through UCAS, I’d happily write another statement for it? If they say no, do you think that will effect my place on the Pharmacy course?
Googley_eyes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by throwawaypharm)
I actually don’t have access to Clearing because I’ve accepted a place on the Pharmacy course, I’d have to withdraw from the course. I know that seems like the right option, considering I don’t really want to do Pharmacy but I just know my parents would prefer I do the year of Pharmacy and apply to Diagnostic Radiography next year, if I don’t get in, at least I’ll be on a course.

They’re talking non-stop about how proud they are of me doing this course and I just want to make them proud :/ In all honesty, I don’t even feel ready for university. I’ll only be 17 when I’m going and moving almost 2 hours away from home...

Do you think I can email and see if I could switch without having to apply formally through UCAS, I’d happily write another statement for it? If they say no, do you think that will effect my place on the Pharmacy course?
Just do the year in pharmacy and reapply through UCAS for radiography during your first year. I don’t think you’ll be eligible for a first year transfer as it’s a different course. But if the only reason why you want to leave pharmacy is because of somethings you have heard then I have to question if you even wanted to do it and are just looking for a way out. And will in a few months time, when you hear bad stuff about diagnostic radiography, would you want to switch back? As someone on a forced gap year, I don’t recommend it, and if your a levels aren’t right and applications are months too late, and your personal statement won’t fit, then I suggest just sticking and if you hate the course when you get there, reapply through UCAS early on.
CaitTopaz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trinculo)

What I meant by that is the fact that there is no point in studying for a career if you don't have the passion for it.

Pharmacy pays far better than radiography does, basic pay is around £10,000 higher than a newly qualified radiographer. So financially it makes more sense to stick with pharmacy.
username19412
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by throwawaypharm)

I can tell you this first hand, when it comes to education and figuring out what you want to do for your future, don't listen to your parents. Take their advice with a pinch of salt. I'm guessing you have Asian parents; all Asian parents seem to be very narrow-minded. There would be no point starting the pharmacy course, paying £15000+ and then end up leaving, especially when going into radiography because the salary for radiography is not the best either (it's not a salary like doctors or finance professions). If your parents were actually proud of you, they would trust that you know what's best for yourself and help you do whatever it is you want to do.

Do what you want to do; if that is pharmacy so be it, or if that is radiography do that. But whatever you do, make sure you get into the best university you can and achieve the best you can because ultimately a degree is an investment so someone going to the University of Cambridge is getting a lot more bang for their buck than someone going to Wolverhampton University (just as an example). However, the university you go to matters far less in subjects in the medical field so doesn't get too bogged down if you can't get into decent universities for your subject.

I predict there will be plenty of clearing places for radiography at decent universities so if your mind is set on radiography, maybe withdraw your offer before results day to get a head start in clearing or if you're worried about your results, reject your place on results day and then go through. A productive gap year is thousands of times better, not only for your CV but also for your skills than 1 year doing a degree which you hate.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (64)
30.05%
No (149)
69.95%

Watched Threads