Girlbyeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How is relationships presented in cozy apologia (Rita Dove) and Afternoons (philip larkin) 25 marks

I really need help with this as im struggle alott with poetry
Sav055
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't remember a lot because it's been a year but here are some pointers.

“Cozy Apologia” is about the pleasures and rewards of a mature, stable relationship. The speaker enjoys such a relationship, she finds “this happiness” to be a little bit “embarrassing” because it doesn't live up to the ideals and clichés of romantic passion. Romantic fantasies seem a little juvenile or naive to the the writer; they remind her of “teenage crushes on worthless boys”

The writer is taking directly to Fred so it feels personal and powerful. No matter what she thinks about, she thinks of him. In lines 2-3, she then lists a series of mundane things—the lamp on her desk, the quiet rain outside the window, the ink of her pen, drying on the page.

"Afternoons" thinks about the emptiness of life and in results, how relationships aren't important as time goes on.
"Is ruining their courting places" suggest that their romance has faded. Children and of daily life has gradually taken the sheen off these relationships, just as the wind physically disturbs their former meeting places.
These young couples are suddenly shackled to a life of domestic drudgery. Marriage has lost its luster, or would certainly seem to since the once cherished wedding album is now ‘lying’, abandoned by the television.

Hope that gives you some points to talk about x
Girlbyeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sav055)
I can't remember a lot because it's been a year but here are some pointers.

“Cozy Apologia” is about the pleasures and rewards of a mature, stable relationship. The speaker enjoys such a relationship, she finds “this happiness” to be a little bit “embarrassing” because it doesn't live up to the ideals and clichés of romantic passion. Romantic fantasies seem a little juvenile or naive to the the writer; they remind her of “teenage crushes on worthless boys”

The writer is taking directly to Fred so it feels personal and powerful. No matter what she thinks about, she thinks of him. In lines 2-3, she then lists a series of mundane things—the lamp on her desk, the quiet rain outside the window, the ink of her pen, drying on the page.

"Afternoons" thinks about the emptiness of life and in results, how relationships aren't important as time goes on.
"Is ruining their courting places" suggest that their romance has faded. Children and of daily life has gradually taken the sheen off these relationships, just as the wind physically disturbs their former meeting places.
These young couples are suddenly shackled to a life of domestic drudgery. Marriage has lost its luster, or would certainly seem to since the once cherished wedding album is now ‘lying’, abandoned by the television.

Hope that gives you some points to talk about x
Omggg thank you so much! X
Sav055
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Girlbyeee)
Omggg thank you so much! X
No problem at all! Trust me, I feel your pain. I hated poetry down to the bone, no matter how much I adored English as a whole. So glad I ditched it at College for English Language instead of Literature! I envy those who can remember everything!
Girlbyeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sav055)
No problem at all! Trust me, I feel your pain. I hated poetry down to the bone, no matter how much I adored English as a whole. So glad I ditched it at College for English Language instead of Literature! I envy those who can remember everything!
For realll! Ugh its so annoying 😩 just a few more weeks of school to go! They’re still making us do all these tests tho🥲 essays every week!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads