Mxxxxl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It would be very useful if you could share some evaluation points as I'm struggling to find and word it myself
Learner777
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
 Highly controlled
P A strength of Zimbardo’s
study is that there was some good control over variables
E For example, Zimbardo controlled for emotional stability because all participants were rated as emotionally stable before the experiment and randomly assigned to either the prisoner or guard group
E This helped to rule out individual differences as an explanation of group differences (guards vs. prisoners) Thus, any differences in behaviour are due to social roles, not individual differences
L This increases the validity of the study as it increases our confidence in the cause and effect relationship between social roles and behaviour
Learner777
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A limitation of
Zimbardo’s research is that his sample was lacking population validity
E Zimabrdo only used 24 US male participants. This means his sample was gender biased and unrepresentative of the general population as it consisted of only males – it cannot be applied to females
E Additionally, the study was only included people from America so it wasn’t representative of other cultures
L Therefore, Zimbardo’s study lacks population validity, reducing the validity of his findings
Learner777
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mxxxxl)
It would be very useful if you could share some evaluation points as I'm struggling to find and word it myself
ー Exaggerated social influences
P A weakness of the study is that Zimbardo may have exaggerated the influence of the situation on behaviour
E Zimbardo later noted that only about a third of the guards behaved in a brutal manner towards prisoners. The remaining guards helped the prisoners or were fair to the prisoners
E The situation may have a less significant effect than what Zimbardo suggested because not all the guards were affected by the situational influences. This suggests that situational pressures to conform are moderated by personality factors
L Therefore, reducing the validity of Zimbardo’s belief that situational factors are a strong in conformity to social
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Learner777)
 Highly controlled
P A strength of Zimbardo’s
study is that there was some good control over variables
E For example, Zimbardo controlled for emotional stability because all participants were rated as emotionally stable before the experiment and randomly assigned to either the prisoner or guard group
E This helped to rule out individual differences as an explanation of group differences (guards vs. prisoners) Thus, any differences in behaviour are due to social roles, not individual differences
L This increases the validity of the study as it increases our confidence in the cause and effect relationship between social roles and behaviour
How do you know all of this 😭
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 1 month ago
Learner777
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
How do you know all of this 😭
I wrote it down from revision
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cool.
Mxxxxl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
ー Exaggerated social influences
P A weakness of the study is that Zimbardo may have exaggerated the influence of the situation on behaviour
E Zimbardo later noted that only about a third of the guards behaved in a brutal manner towards prisoners. The remaining guards helped the prisoners or were fair to the prisoners
E The situation may have a less significant effect than what Zimbardo suggested because not all the guards were affected by the situational influences. This suggests that situational pressures to conform are moderated by personality factors
L Therefore, reducing the validity of Zimbardo’s belief that situational factors are a strong in conformity to social
Thank you so much!!
Learner777
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mxxxxl)
Thank you so much!!
Np!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (14)
31.82%
No (30)
68.18%

Watched Threads