The Student Room Group

is my A-level grade going to get downgraded??

In short, my sociology teacher was not coming into school and essentially setting no essays, he was eventually fired and we had to wait for a new teacher to get the job (as he was the only sociology teacher). we finally got a teacher who has never taught A-level and was slow with the content.

For those who dont know, we have been taught, families and education, the media, and crime and deviance. However, in total we have done 9 essays in exclusively families and education, NOTHING in either of the other parts of the course. Ive been told im predicted an A* and specifically not to hand in more essays.

Surely this is going to result in my being downgraded by exam boards? In essence I, and my whole class, only have evidence for about 1/4th or 1/5th of the course, despite getting high marks, how can this little evidence justify an A*?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by blooperbloobs
In short, my sociology teacher was not coming into school and essentially setting no essays, he was eventually fired and we had to wait for a new teacher to get the job (as he was the only sociology teacher). we finally got a teacher who has never taught A-level and was slow with the content.

For those who dont know, we have been taught, families and education, the media, and crime and deviance. However, in total we have done 9 essays in exclusively families and education, NOTHING in either of the other parts of the course. Ive been told im predicted an A* and specifically not to hand in more essays.

Surely this is going to result in my being downgraded by exam boards? In essence I, and my whole class, only have evidence for about 1/4th or 1/5th of the course, despite getting high marks, how can this little evidence justify an A*?

Im a year 13 student as well, from what I know it doesn't matter how much of the course ur tested on it depends on the range of evidence i.e if u get A* in around 7 of those essays I dont see a reason to get downgraded
Original post by Rohan Perara
Im a year 13 student as well, from what I know it doesn't matter how much of the course ur tested on it depends on the range of evidence i.e if u get A* in around 7 of those essays I dont see a reason to get downgraded

yeah ive got 28/30 and 19/20 on essentially all of them. but my other teachers have drilled into me that we must cover the breadth of the course or we will get downgraded. Everything is just so uncertain I almost wish exams went ahead just for some clarity :/
My understanding is that schools are only able to assess you on what you've been taught so there would be a breadth from the essays you've done

It's not your fault that you had terrible teaching and you shouldn't be punished because of this.

Are you doing any mini assessments at any point?
Original post by jennybear
My understanding is that schools are only able to assess you on what you've been taught so there would be a breadth from the essays you've done

It's not your fault that you had terrible teaching and you shouldn't be punished because of this.

Are you doing any mini assessments at any point?

Hi. No we aren't doing any mini assessments and our final pieces of work are being submitted in 2 days. My concern is WE have being taught these 4 parts of the course, but due to a bit of a messy leave from our previous teacher, who lost/didnt cooperate in giving back our old work we have none. Ive mentioned multiple times to my teacher the fact we've been taught all parts, yet have work for only 1/4th is concerning. but they simply said dont worry... Honestly this thread has no practical purpose as its too late to change this. Im just really concerned as I need the A* and have done everything in my power.
Hi. No we aren't doing any mini assessments and our final pieces of work are being submitted in 2 days. My concern is WE have being taught these 4 parts of the course, but due to a bit of a messy leave from our previous teacher, who lost/didnt cooperate in giving back our old work we have none. Ive mentioned multiple times to my teacher the fact we've been taught all parts, yet have work for only 1/4th is concerning. but they simply said dont worry... Honestly this thread has no practical purpose as its too late to change this. Im just really concerned as I need the A* and have done everything in my power.

Ok thanks for clarifying - I'm pretty sure that schools only have to physically keep the evidence (i.e. in case of moderation) if it was handed in after 24/03/21, but you're saying that they didn't even give the marks/grades for the work?

From what you've said I would assume your teacher will be calculating your grade just off the 1/4 they've taught you, but from your OP you mentioned that this is at A* standard as well? (e.g. for my subjects after our mocks in Year 12 before covid we were given the mock papers to take home, but the teacher of course had the grade you got - so they can use that as evidence.)

If they've said you're at A* as well this suggests that you are in an ok situation with your grade. I would perhaps think about speaking to your head of sixth form tomorrow to mention it if you are really concerned. Come results day, if you don't get the grade you want you can always raise an appeal against the centre for not assessing your work appropriately -- and only doing 1/5 of the course would include that. Good luck :smile:

Were any of these essays actually moderated IE: In timed condition etc? Also, I do believe Ofqual will be coming around schools and checking students work to see if they have been awarded grades correctly. My school has made a file for each student and within those files are exams we are currently doing in order to provide further evidence if need be. Also, every student needs to be assessed using the same exam so it's so weird how your school isn't doing this?

I wouldn't worry though. If you are 'downgraded' (I don't think an essay on one topic is an accurate representation of someone's abilities, especially if it isn't in timed conditions or is just homework), you can always appeal under the terms that your school failed to deliver a fair and concise exam season.

Quick Reply