LLM (Master's degree) Dissertation Literature Review

Watch
LS1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,

I am currently in the final stage of my LLM, which is my Dissertation.
I have not written a Dissertation before, but I have engaged with other research projects.
Is 1,500-2,000 words for a Literature Review of a 12,000 word Dissertation too much? I wrote 1,000 for in my former research project (9,000 words).

It is mainly my lack of experience which is causing my apprehension about my word limits, as I want to be precise as I can be.
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LS1998)
Hello,

I am currently in the final stage of my LLM, which is my Dissertation.
I have not written a Dissertation before, but I have engaged with other research projects.
Is 1,500-2,000 words for a Literature Review of a 12,000 word Dissertation too much? I wrote 1,000 for in my former research project (9,000 words).

It is mainly my lack of experience which is causing my apprehension about my word limits, as I want to be precise as I can be.
Hi LS1998,

10% of the final word count seems reasonable for a literature review to me but, admittedly, I'm in a different discipline (English Literature).

Your dissertation supervisor should be able to give you firm guidance on this though so I would recommend speaking with them rather than taking a guess - they're there to help you so don't be afraid to contact them, no matter how small you think the question might be! They can also help you with the wider structure and scope of the project, and help you break the dissertation up into manageable sections to ensure overall coherence.

Hope that helps and good luck with the dissertation!

Amy Louise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed