The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

University of Law

Hi,

I want to pick UOL as my first choice to complete my LPC and LLM combined. Before, I do send out any applications can somebody provide me with their thoughts/experiences from the university.

What is the atmosphere like?
Are the staff helpful and approachable?
What is the course (LLM and/or LPC like overall ?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Hi Amanikaurr,

I am a currently studying the LLM LPC through the University of Law's Online campus and also have previously studied their GDL.

The LLM LPC as a course is quite intense and not like a normal degree. This is because the LPC is teaching you how to apply your knowledge of the law to client's questions or to a supervisor. Thus, there is new course content covered as well as core competencies (e.g. advocacy, interviewing, legal writing) which are assessed. However, I have found the course really enjoyable and being able to apply the work on client queries has really shown me what it going to be like to train as a solicitor. Added bonus is that most of the exams are open book as in the real world you would have access to your legal research.

The atmosphere I have found is friendly and even being an online student I have been able to form study groups and get to know some of the people on the course with me. Also, there are lots of societies, clubs and events which the ULaw offer which allow you to network with people in the legal world.

In terms of staff being helpful and approachable - I have found at times I need to ask for an extension because of other commitments and the tutors have always allowed me to so long as you dont leave it to the day it is due. Additionally, all the tutors on the course are either still practising solicitor so there feedback and insight has been really useful. Additionally, at the start of the course you are assigned a personal tutor who you can go to if you need anything.

Apart from the tutor the Employability team is great they have help me with my CV and my cover letter as well as they give you access to many of there talks and tips for writing applications.

Hope that answers most of your questions but feel free to ask anymore.

Goodluck with your applications and future studies.

Tam
Student Ambassador ULaw
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Original post by amanikaurr
Hi,

I want to pick UOL as my first choice to complete my LPC and LLM combined. Before, I do send out any applications can somebody provide me with their thoughts/experiences from the university.

I am currently at ULaw and I have had the whole course online. And I have really enjoyed it. I believe it is structured really well but there is a lot of reading etc
Reply 3
Which course did you do?
Hello hello,

My names Charlie, I'm 25 and due to start the LPC in September!!

I'd love to live with other people studying the LPC and so I created a Facebook page called 'LPC Housemate/ Flatmate Finder' It's a group in which people can come together to find others that are studying the LPC. Feel free to join!

All the best
anything to add abt the uni of law? Remember seeing a post you made critiquing it.
Reply 6
Original post by Australia13
Hello hello,

My names Charlie, I'm 25 and due to start the LPC in September!!

I'd love to live with other people studying the LPC and so I created a Facebook page called 'LPC Housemate/ Flatmate Finder' It's a group in which people can come together to find others that are studying the LPC. Feel free to join!

All the best

Hello Charlie ! That’s amazing thanks for letting us all know!
Original post by amanikaurr
Hi,

Hi @amanikaurr,

Although I do not study the LLM or LPC (I am an incoming 3rd year LLB student), I think I can provide some input to help answer your first two questions. The atmosphere at ULaw is very warm and friendly, because of small campus sizes you feel like you know everyone in your year group a lot better and it's not so daunting unlike traditional large-sized universities. The small and friendly atmosphere also mean that you find it easier to learn due to the smaller class sizes- typically 20 people. That ensures that you can get 1-1 support from tutors, work in small groups and ask questions very easily.

In terms of the staff, they are all friendly and helpful. From my experience I have never had trouble approaching someone asking for help. Any time you need help with the subject or have any other concern, they are there to help you. As well as subject tutors you will also be assigned a personal tutor and there is the wellbeing team available in case of other support needed. ULaw runs an open-door policy meaning that you can see a tutor any time you need and they will definitely help you out. Even throughout the online transition I have seen tutors continuing to support and remain in contact regularly, they're still quick with responding to emails so I've never felt stuck about something and not been able to get help.

I apologise about not being able to discuss the LPC/LLM but hope that I still gave you some perspective about student life here and wish you all the best in your career! Please let us know if you have any further queries. :smile:

- Sarah
Reply 8
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @amanikaurr,

Although I do not study the LLM or LPC (I am an incoming 3rd year LLB student), I think I can provide some input to help answer your first two questions. The atmosphere at ULaw is very warm and friendly, because of small campus sizes you feel like you know everyone in your year group a lot better and it's not so daunting unlike traditional large-sized universities. The small and friendly atmosphere also mean that you find it easier to learn due to the smaller class sizes- typically 20 people. That ensures that you can get 1-1 support from tutors, work in small groups and ask questions very easily.

In terms of the staff, they are all friendly and helpful. From my experience I have never had trouble approaching someone asking for help. Any time you need help with the subject or have any other concern, they are there to help you. As well as subject tutors you will also be assigned a personal tutor and there is the wellbeing team available in case of other support needed. ULaw runs an open-door policy meaning that you can see a tutor any time you need and they will definitely help you out. Even throughout the online transition I have seen tutors continuing to support and remain in contact regularly, they're still quick with responding to emails so I've never felt stuck about something and not been able to get help.

I apologise about not being able to discuss the LPC/LLM but hope that I still gave you some perspective about student life here and wish you all the best in your career! Please let us know if you have any further queries. :smile:

- Sarah

Hello Sarah,

Thankyou so much for your detailed reply it was really useful. I can also confirm that I will be joining you on the 20th of September:smile:
Hi @amanikaurr,

That's really great to hear you found it helpful and are starting the new academic year with us, I hope you have a fantastic experience at ULaw, good luck with your studies and career! :smile:

Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending