I have nowhere to go over summer

Watch
qm772
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay so I’m in second year of uni and am dreading going back home to my abusive parents’ house for summer. I had to last year for 6 months in the lockdown and I can’t face being there again.

The problem is that I have multiple disabilities which mean I can’t really work over summer to be able to afford rent anywhere, and sharing a space with people I don’t know doesn’t work for me. I have no friends or family I can stay with, and I’m living in uni accommodation this year and next so I can’t find a place with a contract that starts over summer.

I feel completely stuck, I’ve exhausted all ideas of how to make money or find somewhere else to go. Can anyone help me figure out what to do?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
How old are you?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qm772)
Okay so I’m in second year of uni and am dreading going back home to my abusive parents’ house for summer. I had to last year for 6 months in the lockdown and I can’t face being there again.

The problem is that I have multiple disabilities which mean I can’t really work over summer to be able to afford rent anywhere, and sharing a space with people I don’t know doesn’t work for me. I have no friends or family I can stay with, and I’m living in uni accommodation this year and next so I can’t find a place with a contract that starts over summer.

I feel completely stuck, I’ve exhausted all ideas of how to make money or find somewhere else to go. Can anyone help me figure out what to do?
Have you spoken to your uni about this?
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi what sort of disabilities do you have? I may be able to help.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qm772)

Hi qm772,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're in this position. The first thing I would recommend to do is speak to the welfare team at your university- dependent upon the University they may be able to pull some strings and either extend your contract or provide you with some emergency accommodation for the whole or a portion of the summer so that you don't have to spend as much time with your parents. If you would struggle to pay for an extended contract I would mention this to them as some Universities offer hardship funds or maybe can help you if you need to contact student finance about this. If the University is unable to help, Shelter also have a really good knowledge of these sorts of issues and might be able to point you in the right direction (https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help). The earlier you can get in contact with these teams the easier this may be to sort and if you feel you are in any danger should you return home please make them aware of this.

I hope this helps and you have all my best wishes
Lizzy, Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (78)
27.46%
England (96)
33.8%
Belgium (24)
8.45%
Germany (36)
12.68%
Spain (4)
1.41%