maththrowaway34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A particle P, of mass 0.5 kg, is moving with velocity (4i + 4j) m s–1 when it receives an impulse I of magnitude 2.5 Ns.

As a result of the impulse, the direction of motion of P is deflected through an angle of 45.

Given that I = ( λ i + µj) Ns, find all the possible pairs of values of λ and µ.

Hey guys. I'm completely stuck on this question, and I don't know where the question is from so I have no access to the mark scheme. Can anyone help me solve this question, or has seen it before and knows where it is from? thank you
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maththrowaway34)
A particle P, of mass 0.5 kg, is moving with velocity (4i + 4j) m s–1 when it receives an impulse I of magnitude 2.5 Ns.

As a result of the impulse, the direction of motion of P is deflected through an angle of 45.

Given that I = ( λ i + µj) Ns, find all the possible pairs of values of λ and µ.

Hey guys. I'm completely stuck on this question, and I don't know where the question is from so I have no access to the mark scheme. Can anyone help me solve this question, or has seen it before and knows where it is from? thank you
Looks like it may have been copied from a thread on here - your post has identical formatting?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6478508
Diagram etc ... is the usual way to start.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
maththrowaway34
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Looks like it may have been copied from a thread on here - your post has identical formatting?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6478508
Diagram etc ... is the usual way to start.
oh i saw your replies to the thread! I tried the question, and looked at the replies but still have no clue where to start unfortunately. I've been looking at it for about 45mins tryna figure out whats going on.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh i saw your replies to the thread! I tried the question, and looked at the replies but still have no clue where to start unfortunately. I've been looking at it for about 45mins tryna figure out whats going on.
So can you upload your diagram?
maththrowaway34
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
So can you upload your diagram?
I'm not on my phone right now bro, but its literally just a particle moving 4i+4j, I haven't gone anywhere with it and its frustrating me. Would be able to instruct me as to where i would start
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
at the start the object is moving on a bearing 045 degrees.

after the impulse takes effect it is moving on a bearing of either

i) 0 degrees... so the new velocity will be 0i + fj

ii) 90 degrees... so the new velocity will be ei + 0j

the original momentum in both cases is 2i + 2j

in case i) the new momentum is 0i + 0.5fj

in case ii) the new momentum is 0.5ei + 0j

now consider how the new momentum and the old momentum are connected by the impulse.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not on my phone right now bro, but its literally just a particle moving 4i+4j, I haven't gone anywhere with it and its frustrating me. Would be able to instruct me as to where i would start
Start by drawing a diagram which includes the velocity before and after and "typical" impulse and come back to the question when you can upload your contribution?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%
Italy (29)
9.06%
Netherlands (10)
3.13%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise