Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What is the point in firming a UCAS offer until just before the deadline?

Are there any downsides to waiting till deadline day?

I'm still unsure of which to pick for 1st and insurance choice but even if I was sure I would still leave it till the last minute simply because there are no downsides (if I am correct?)
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are unsure you may as well wait until closer until the deadline.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, the only possible downside is that in theory you may not have as much choice when applying for accommodation. In practice I don't think it's a huge issue for most unis/people though. Better to take the time to make sure you are picking the right uni in the first place, than to rush in, book accommodation and pay a non-refundable deposit, then change your mind and be out of pocket!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Are there any downsides to waiting till deadline day?
1) The earlier you decide, you can then apply for accommodation and get your Uni life sorted out.
2) If you leave it to literally the deadline day on 10 June, you risk the usual problem of the UCAS website getting overloaded, freezing, crashing etc and then not knowing if your decision has been entered in time.

Do it well before the deadline.
abc dribble
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some unis open their accomodation portals way before the deadline, meaning the good accom gets booked up quickly. My firm doesn't do accom on a first come first serve basis, so I can wait till the 20th for my final uni to respond.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll echo what's been already said.

You're not going to lose your offers by waiting longer to make your choices, and sometimes it's definitely better to wait, however it can impact your ability to access accommodation and leaving it right until the deadline is risky if there are any issues with UCAS at that time.

Definitely don't feel like you have to rush yourself into choosing your firm and insurance choices. It's a big decision (although you can change your mind in the 14 days after making your decision. It may also be possible after 14 days, but you'll have to contact UCAS and there aren't any guarantees at that point) and you should really make sure you know where you want to go and want to study.

However, if your university does accommodation on a first-come-first-serve basis, you may miss out. I firmed Nottingham pretty late last year, and by the time I was able to book accommodation all of the ones I wanted were gone. It's a risk, but it was also a sacrifice I was willing to make to go to the university (I didn't end up going as my place at a US uni was confirmed). But you may have different priorities (i.e. you may not want to attend a certain university if you can't get certain accommodation).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.51%
England (146)
34.93%
Belgium (32)
7.66%
Germany (42)
10.05%
Spain (10)
2.39%