ConnieFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone have any ideas for biochemistry books/ articles etc, that would be good for a personal statement?
Thanks!
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ConnieFox)
Anyone have any ideas for biochemistry books/ articles etc, that would be good for a personal statement?
Thanks!
Im always hesitant to recommend books as for my field (neuroscience), everyone doing a PS in that field always mention the same books (I've only seen 1 neuroscience PS so far that didn't mention "The Man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sacks"). I'd go to a bookstore or look online in the biology section, see what topics might interest you and pick a few to read.

Articles wise, journals might be a step too far for the majority of articles, but places like "Science" and "Nature" do more entry-level summaries of science news that could be worth checking out.
Last edited by QuentinM; 1 month ago
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are you interested in - genetics, protein science, history of biochem etc?

Most life science-y 'pop science' books will be appropriate (eg the Wellcome Book Prize books or something like Nessa Carey's books), and you can also have a look on PubChem too if you're brave.
University of Strathclyde
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks!
Hey ConnieFox ! I'd agree with starting with becausethenight's advice here- have a think about the areas that really interest you within Biochemistry first. This should help you have a look for things that interest you in more detail and you can use that as a jumping off board. Once you've got an idea of what excites you most, I'd recommend having a look in to current research in that area if you're able to! Have a look on university pages for example to see what research they are currently undertaking. If you're able to follow along with any developments over the coming months and comment on them and their implications then that will show a really keen interest

That's just one way I'd recommend you could use to make your statement a bit more original and unique to you

Best of luck with it!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks!
Moved to the biology uni forum as it's more subject specific question
sciencequestion8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Richard Dawkins has written some Biological science books that are worth a read!
ConnieFox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks so much everyone! I’ll definitely look more specifically into areas of biochem that interest me and the idea about looking at current research at universities is excellent! Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads