D.Phil. at Oxford vs MASt at Cambridge for Theoretical Physics

Watch
basicswithbabish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it beneficial to apply to D.Phil. in Theoretical Physics at Oxford or apply to MASt in Applied Mathematics at Cambridge. Then ace the examinations later and get a Ph.D. offer at DAMTP, Cambridge.

I am asking this because Oxford University allows doing D.Phil. without doing a Masters' course again, as I will already have a Master's degree. They will just let you do the required classes in the first year, which looks good to me.

Whereas in Cambridge I have to study all those courses for 9 months and appear for exams. I should ace them in order to get into the Ph.D. program in DAMTP.

Any suggestions and has anyone ever been in this position. What did you do?
Last edited by basicswithbabish; 1 month ago
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by basicswithbabish)
Is it beneficial to apply to D.Phil. in Theoretical Physics at Oxford or apply to MASt in Applied Mathematics at Cambridge. Then ace the examinations later and get a Ph.D. offer at DAMTP, Cambridge.

I am asking this because Oxford University allows doing D.Phil. without doing a Masters' course again, as I will already have a Master's degree. They will just let you do the required classes in the first year, which looks good to me.

Whereas in Cambridge I have to study all those courses for 9 months and appear for exams. I should ace them in order to get into the Ph.D. program in DAMTP.

Any suggestions and has anyone ever been in this position. What did you do?
Apply for both, then you choose the one you prefer. Remember that you could get in and not get funding. Don't block yourself. Also apply to other universities to spread your risk. Good luck
basicswithbabish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Apply for both, then you choose the one you prefer. Remember that you could get in and not get funding. Don't block yourself. Also apply to other universities to spread your risk. Good luck
I can apply to both. But that's not the point. I want to know which is better suited.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can apply to both. But that's not the point. I want to know which is better suited.
I would suggest that you go for the DPhil at Oxford, if you get in. However, if it is DPhil at Oxford vs PhD at Cambridge, I would suggest Cambridge.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can post here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post95167694

The above is the Cambridge Postgrad Community.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads