RVC,London or University of Glasgow School of Veterinary Medicine?

Watch
sv1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone.I've received offers from Glasgow as well as RVC,London for the 5 year Veterinary Medicine program. I'm and international student. I'm super confused about which school to choose since both seem really great! I'd love to know anyone's experience with both schools along with the pros and cons of both before choosing one.Thank you in advance😊
Last edited by sv1234; 1 month ago
RambleAmple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, sorry you haven't had any replies to this. Well done on getting the offers, that is amazing! I think they are both very well established and great vet schools, so I wouldn't judge them on which is 'better' (not that there is 'better' when speaking about any vet school) but rather your own preferences. Obviously one is in Scotland one England, so you could decide on what country you'd prefer to live in. RVC in London is very expensive to live in, and while I haven't been to Scotland so can't comment, I'd assume it's quite significantly cheaper in Glasgow. In RVC you live in the London campus for the first 2 years and at the Hawkshead campus for the last 3, so you get the 'best of both worlds' as obviously London is a big, busy city with great nightlife and the Hawkshead is an absolutely beautiful campus in the countryside, which still has its own facilities etc but is more quiet. RVC mainly has vet or vet related subjects, so if you want to be around other people with similar subjects then that is good. At Glasgow I believe you live in the city for the whole course, and you mix with all the other subjects (I could be wrong but just to my knowledge).

I live quite near RVC and went to a 5 day live in summer school there in 2019, and applied there for 2020 entry but then ended up withdrawing after realising it isn't for me. I think it's a great vet school, but aside from wanting to move further from where I live currently, I didn't like how expensive and constantly busy London is, but I also still wanted a city uni with a good night life, and I prefer a mix of different students from different subjects. I applied to Glasgow this year, but didn't get an offer.
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd only chip in and say that once accommodation prices are out of the way, London doesn't necessarily have to be "very" expensive to live in. Assuming that your halls of residence are close to the University (not sure about RVC), travel shouldn't be that big of a cost. And once accommodation and travel are out of the way, the rest is similar around the country. Your groceries will have the same prices as wherever (chain supermarkets etc), you'll just need to be smart with where you go out. The majority of bars and clubs will be more expensive, but that doesn't mean there aren't any affordable ones. The one great thing about London is that you have a lot of options around you at all times, and I guess in a way you will be paying more on average for that luxury. BUT I wouldn't class it as very expensive if you're smart about where you go.
I've only ever been to Glasgow once, it's decent but there's no comparison to the liveliness and diversity you'll get in London. Edinburgh was a lot closer, but not Glasgow. Obviously you should take various factors into consideration, that's just my opinion as a very long-time Londoner!
sv1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the valuable inputs guys The cost of living is something that's been bothering me but it's great to know that it needn't be as expensive as it seems! Again, thank you and all the very best to both of you😁
kcsunshine
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Glasgow is a great city to be in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads