Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) Accommodation FAQs & Chat Thread 2021 / 22

Watch
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

This is a thread for all 2021 applicants who have questions about our accommodation and / or want to chat to fellow students about studying in 2021 / 22.

We’ve included some of the most common FAQs in the drop downs below and there is a lot of information on the accommodation web pages too.

*** If you have questions about accommodation you can ask below or ring - 0330 024 6390 ***

Start a conversation about your accommodation choices below and find others in a similar situation to you before you start.

Accommodation types

Spoiler:
Show

We have two types of accommodation available.

University Halls

These are great if you want to make friends and live in the heart of student life. You’re never more than a 30 minute walk from campus. You can pick based on sizes and prices, so you will always know what you’re spending – which is great when budgeting! This option is popular with first year students, although you can return to halls if your in your second, third or fourth year. There’s also flats suitable for postgraduate and mature students in all halls.

Private sector housing

This is great if you want to find your own place to stay in Sheffield, or if your looking for something away from the halls environment. Make sure you use our snug scheme to make sure you find a safe place that’s of a good standard. Make sure you’ve accepted an unconditional offer before you start looking for accommodation in the private sector. Don’t sign a contract without viewing the property and make sure you understand the terms of the agreement.

Applying for halls

Spoiler:
Show

Apply as soon as you’ve received a conditional or unconditional offer. Even if we are your insurance choice.

We guarantee to offer you a place in halls and our flexible application process means that you are under no obligation to accept any room offered. We will not ask you to pay a deposit when applying or sign a contract until your results are confirmed!

You can apply online now.

How do you allocate applications?

Spoiler:
Show

You won’t receive anything from us until we have confirmation of your results. Please ensure that you submit your application for accommodation as soon as possible because the date you apply is taken into consideration when allocating you a room.

What hall should I pick?

Spoiler:
Show

All halls are furnished with a bed, wardrobe, desk and a chair. You will need to bring your own bed linen, towels, crockery, and cooking utensils. One of the most common FAQ is ‘which hall is best?’ This is a tricky question to answer because each person will have a different budget and requirement. Our website has a tool where you can select what you’re looking for and you can see the location of each hall on a map.

Which hall is closest to City Campus / Collegiate Campus?

Spoiler:
Show

As a guide, here are the walking distances of each accommodation in relation to each campus (this depends on your walking speed of course, but as a rough guide!)

The Anvil: City Campus 13 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 24 minutes (walk the route)

Béton House: City Campus 14 minutes | Collegiate Campus 40 minutes

Brittain Street: City Campus 5 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes (walk the route)

Central Quay: City Campus 15 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 30 minutes (walk the route)

Charlotte Court: City Campus 15 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 20 minutes (walk the route)

The Elements: City Campus 15 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes (walk the route)

Exchange Works: City Campus 2 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes (walk the route)

The Forge: City Campus 15 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes (walk the route)

The Gate: City Campus 3 minutes | Collegiate Campus 25 minutes

LIV Student: City Campus 15 minutes | Collegiate Campus 10 minutes

Norfolk Gardens: City Campus 15 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 25 minutes (walk the route)

The Pinnacles: City Campus 10 minutes (walk the route) | Collegiate Campus 30 minutes (walk the route)

Summerfield Street: City Campus 20 minutes | Collegiate Campus 5 minutes

The Trigon: City Campus 5 minutes | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes

Westhill Hall: City Campus 15 minutes | Collegiate Campus 15 minutes

Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Hi, so I’m considering coming to SHU to study nursing next year and I will be 23 by the time I start. I’m just wondering which accomodation might be best for being close to the Collegiate campus and are there a lot of mature students in halls too? Can you request to be in a flat with other 21+ students? I’d feel slightly nervous sharing with just 18/19 year olds
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, so I’m considering coming to SHU to study nursing next year and I will be 23 by the time I start. I’m just wondering which accomodation might be best for being close to the Collegiate campus and are there a lot of mature students in halls too? Can you request to be in a flat with other 21+ students? I’d feel slightly nervous sharing with just 18/19 year olds
Hi,

There's a variety of accommodation and you can state in your application that you would prefer to live with mature students. A lot of mature students opt for a privately rented place / flat share too. Our accommodation service team are happy to help with any enquiries and specifics too. You can email them at [email protected].

Hope this helps.

Stacey
Official Sheffield Hallam Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed