Durham University and Lancaster University

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hiii im an international students from hk and i got offer from both uni. Though, i watched some videos and articles online, im wondering the racism prob in uni, especially for durham. Anyone can share some info and experiences with me before i make a firm choice?? Thanks~
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hiii im an international students from hk and i got offer from both uni. Though, i watched some videos and articles online, im wondering the racism prob in uni, especially for durham. Anyone can share some info and experiences with me before i make a firm choice?? Thanks~
you will not experience any racism at university whatsoever. students are notoriously politically correct. i would say that some of the local townspeople might be unfamilar with foreigners.. but they certainly won't be given how established Durham University is in the city, Lancaster to a much lesser extent. i wouldn't go to Lancaster anyway if you have an offer from Durham which is a better uni
Anonymous #1
Hello thanks for your reply. Yes i would like to go to Durham too due to that factor. But one thing bothering me is i got allocated to the Hatfield college which really have a bad rep...
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello thanks for your reply. Yes i would like to go to Durham too due to that factor. But one thing bothering me is i got allocated to the Hatfield college which really have a bad rep...
yeah so the reason I ended up choosing St Andrews instead of Durham is because Durham has a very "rugger bugger" reputation... lots of big, sporty guys and heavy partiers. i do think that that image of Durham was exaggerated in my head because those people are only ever a minority and the majority of people (even posh people) everywhere tend to be nice.

fortunately, the Hill colleges (like Van Mildert) are more diverse than the Bailey colleges (like Hatfield), so if Durham still allows you to choose your college then you would be likely to get one that suits you
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Yayy ive missed the application period for colleges coz going to uk wasnt my first choice at that time. I heard that some students from durham have an unfriendly attitude to girls too. Really dont know shd i choose lancaster instead. Anyway thanks sm!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.79%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (101)
32.48%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.22%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.68%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.47%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.96%

Watched Threads