The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

best ways to travel between london & edinburgh?

and what is the cost and journey time like? any cheaper or quicker ways to travel?

I'm trying to figure out how often I'd be able to visit home in london (not sure about weekends, but worth a try)
Depending on the time of year and times of day / week you’ve got the options of the train or the plane. LNER tend to have decent deals if bought in advance, and they have a direct service from Waverley to Kings X that takes around 4 hours.

BA can have VERY cheap flights (often in the £30-50 range to Heathrow which only takes an hour, or a little more expensive to go into London City Airport. You also have airlines like EasyJet or Ryanair that go to airports like Stansted or Luton which can be dirty cheap. But it all depends on how central you live, that dictates a lot on which airport you go to. Beating in mine the tram and bus to Edinburgh airport can be quite expensive, same goes for getting the tube / train / bus / DLR in London from the airport to your home.

And if all else fails, there’s frequent National Express or MegaBus services between the two, but they take a painfully long time to get there.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'd think about advance train fares if I were you. Trains have plugs, wifi etc so you can do some study or writing on your journey, which is not an option on the plane or really on the coach.

I'd suggest not planning to visit too often, perhaps just mid-term. Edinburgh is a lovely city and there are plenty of things to do at weekends. I have gone for the Fringe and a couple of times in the winter (brother in law's family were nearby).
LNER, hands down.

You buy a railcard and can regularly get fares in the £50 mark.

You can also take luggage on the rails without paying exorbitant baggage fees as with an airline/etc.

Also, the experience of rail, which in itself is worth paying for to be honest.

Oh, also, getting to the airport is pricy unless you own a ridacard/etc (which you may/may not)... the train gets you to central London (not one of the outer airports) and in Edinburgh getting to the station from anywhere will likely cost the bus fare of £1.80.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending