Black Sensei
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just sat my AS Exams for Further Maths, for our teacher assessed grades and I'm positive that I got around a C. My teacher said that he is basing out UCAS predicted grades off of these tests.

I'm likely to get around an A*A*A in my other subjects but I feel like a relatively poor grade such as a C would hold me back. I've emailed a few unis and they've said they make offers based on all grades.

Would I still have a chance to get into A*A*A/ A*AA schools for university? Keep in mind that the course is computer science and they do not require further maths but it is preffered.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your AS grade isnt going to matter - Unis will all look at only your 3 A level grades.
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Your AS grade isnt going to matter - Unis will all look at only your 3 A level grades.
Thanks for the response I know that but my teacher says he will base our predicted grades for UCAS on our AS grades (I'm in year 12 btw). Which is why I'm a bit worried about not doing well in it.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Black Sensei)
Thanks for the response I know that but my teacher says he will base our predicted grades for UCAS on our AS grades (I'm in year 12 btw). Which is why I'm a bit worried about not doing well in it.
But your predicted grades will be for your three A level subjects and will be based on your performance in those subjects - not a subject you are only taking to AS.
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
But your predicted grades will be for your three A level subjects and will be based on your performance in those subjects - not a subject you are only taking to AS.
Sorry I forgot to mention but I do 4 subjects which is why I was more nervous about the grades Further Maths being the fourth
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If one A level grade is going to be that weak then you might like to consider dropping it and concentrating on the three that matter,
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Black Sensei)
Sorry I forgot to mention but I do 4 subjects which is why I was more nervous about the grades Further Maths being the fourth
I don't consider a C at AS level to be that bad, it's perfectly possible to significantly improve by the time of the A level exams. Plus I find it hard to believe your teacher can base their predictions only on this one set of exams whatever they say, they will have to use more evidence that that so I expect they are just trying to motivate people to revise hard. Plus if your other predictions are A*A*A then you are still likely to get offers even if your FM prediction is a C.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ve got 6 months before the early ucas deadline and 9 months to the normal deadline to demonstrate to your teacher that you’re working at a higher level in FM and likely to get a higher grade.

Ucas predictions are a teacher judgement. If they can see that you’ve worked hard over the summer and upped your grades and performance then they’ll almost always take that into account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
29.02%
No (225)
70.98%

Watched Threads