Whats the difference between an A-Level and a Level 3?

Watch
romhaewon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I think I'm being stupid here asking. I'm studying English Language, Drama and Theatre and Criminology at college this September, but, on my college website, Criminology doesn't appear under A-levels as instead, it's under Level 3 (the full course name is Criminology Subsidiary Diploma).

I'm worried that this will affect my UCAS score? I want to study English Language and Linguistics (with a year abroad) at University, and I'm worried that Criminology might bring down my total. Thank you
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Level 3 qualifications include BTECs, CTECHs, and various 'diplomas' like WJEC Applied Diplomas. A subsidiary Diploma is a BTEC with the same 'study load' as one a level.

These 'other courses' are not academic courses. They are vocational courses, and more practical in nature. And, importantly, assessment relies on coursework, not big-bang exams in your final year as with A levels.

Whilst you wont get into Oxford with a BTEC, most other leading Unis do accept one BTEC alongside two A levels, depending on the course you want to apply for.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Qualifications come in different levels (depending on how difficult they are), and different sizes (e.g. AS and A level).

AS level, A levels, BTEC Nationals and a host of other qualifications are all considered to be Level 3 (whereas GCSEs at grade 4 and above are Level 2), You can check how many UCAS points different grades in a qualification will gain you here https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator and see how it compares with other subjects. For instance a D* in a diploma in Level 3 criminology gets you the same number of UCAS points as an A* at A level. Some courses will ask for grades, e.g. AAB rather than UCAS points, but the D* should be interchangeable with an A*, a Dist with an A and a Merit with a C.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Compost)
D* should be interchangeable with an A*, a Dist with an A and a Merit with a C.
Not if the Uni will not accept that qualification and wants an A level.
The qualifications are not interchangeable.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Not if the Uni will not accept that qualification and wants an A level.
The qualifications are not interchangeable.
But the overwhelming majority of courses do accept BTECs etc.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by romhaewon)
I think I'm being stupid here asking. I'm studying English Language, Drama and Theatre and Criminology at college this September, but, on my college website, Criminology doesn't appear under A-levels as instead, it's under Level 3 (the full course name is Criminology Subsidiary Diploma).

I'm worried that this will affect my UCAS score? I want to study English Language and Linguistics (with a year abroad) at University, and I'm worried that Criminology might bring down my total. Thank you
Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

A level 3 qualification is an equivalent to an A-level, but it is not an A-level. There will be different ucas points for a-levels and Level 3 so it is important to check.

I hope this helps.
Ethan - UOP Rep
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
A level 3 qualification is an equivalent to an A-level, but it is not an A-level. There will be different ucas points for a-levels and Level 3 so it is important to check.
A levels are Level 3 qualifications but there are many Level 3 qualifications which are not A levels. Similar numbers of UCAS points are available for different Level 3 qualifications of the same size.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads