What should I do with Further Maths for BSc Economics at LSE?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm currently in Yr 12 and just done my Further Maths AS. I'm looking to do Economics at LSE.
Is it better to do Maths, Physics and Economics at A-Level with A*-A's with an A in AS Further Maths. Or is it better to just do Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A-Level with A*-A's (dropping physics).
Ackman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further maths is a more desirable A level for LSE and will make you stand out against the competition who will have an (A* in maths) however that all being said (three A*s looks better than A*A* and A in further). LSE also places a lot of weight on the personal statement so make sure it's damn good and talk about GAME THEORY!!! (Nash equilibrium) I believe you can choose it as part of an option for further maths so waffle on about that, as it's a module in your economics degree. May I also suggest applying for economics and economic history as well (same employment prospects as your cv still will say ECONOMICS LSE but there is much less competition on the course).

Good Luck LSE Economics is probably harder than getting into than Oxbridge Economics because so many people apply and there is no interview unlike Oxbridge (which filters out the lazy people).

as a back up apply to Warwick, UCL, Oxbridge.
Last edited by Ackman; 1 month ago
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ackman)
Further maths is a more desirable A level for LSE and will make you stand out against the competition who will have an (A* in maths) however that all being said (three A*s looks better than A*A* and A in further). LSE also places a lot of weight on the personal statement so make sure it's damn good and talk about GAME THEORY!!! (Nash equilibrium) I believe you can choose it as part of an option for further maths so waffle on about that, as it's a module in your economics degree. May I also suggest applying for economics and economic history as well (same employment prospects as your cv still will say ECONOMICS LSE but there is much less competition on the course).

Good Luck LSE Economics is probably harder than getting into than Oxbridge Economics because so many people apply and there is no interview unlike Oxbridge (which filters out the lazy people)
harder is debatable but I agree there's much more scrutiny towards grades and personal statement since there's no interview/admissions test. Some people who are bad at interviews would argue LSE is easier and vice versa
Ackman
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes very true, but I suspect LSE receives more applications than Oxbridge for the reasons I listed above. basically, just make sure you have top grades and an outstanding PS and you should be fine.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I personally would stick with Physics because I think A level Further maths is only brilliant when its a fourth subject. I got an offer from LSE for actuarial science and I only had AS further maths, not the full A level, and my course is heavily mathematical (way more than straight econ will be).
In my personal opinion, having a breadth of subjects is seen as stronger than just having 3 a levels where two of them are maths. But this is just my opinion and I think you need to go with the combo that you think will get you higher grades in. If you're not doing as well in Physics and you feel you can get the A* in Further maths then obviously go with that but still, any science is always seen as such a strong a level and I don't think not having the full A Level further maths will put you at a disadvantage if the other parts of your application (like the personal statement) are top notch.
Ackman
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U.../BSc-Economics if you follow this link and the subject combinations it states that further maths is desirable (trust me for LSE this means essential). Thus the majority of successful candidates will have it, so I would strongly advise you to take it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ackman)
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U.../BSc-Economics if you follow this link and the subject combinations it states that further maths is desirable (trust me for LSE this means essential). Thus the majority of successful candidates will have it, so I would strongly advise you to take it.
Would I be disadvantaged by dropping Physics and doing just 3 though? Or will it not matter? I plan to do an EPQ as well
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, what my school has always recommended is to actually apply with your 4 subjects and continue to take classes. When you get your offer from LSE, then you can email them to ask or inform them that you’ll be dropping a subject. Most of the time, they will agree and not change the offer conditions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise