The Student Room Group

QUB vs Lancaster for business analytics

I got an offer from both, I know they have different approaches, I'm an international student looking for job opportunities after graduation.
I'm so confused!
Original post by Zangato
I got an offer from both, I know they have different approaches, I'm an international student looking for job opportunities after graduation.
I'm so confused!

Hello @Zangato,

Congratulations on your offers! :smile:

It's great to hear you're considering taking up your offer at Lancaster, although I don't study Business Analytics, I do study within the Lancaster University Management School (LUMS) and have some friends who really enjoy this course! If you'd like to speak to some current students to get more of a picture of the course, take a look here.

LUMS do have a dedicated careers service that you're able to access for life (yes, forever!) even after you graduate which would be useful if you're concerned about graduate job opportunities. They can help with absolutely everything to do with jobs and your career and are such a helpful and friendly team. I've secured a placement for my third year and they gave me so much support and advice with the application process, it is definitely an amazing unique feature of studying at LUMS.

If you have any questions about life at Lancaster on campus or the city itself, please don't hesitate to ask! I'm more than happy to answer anything :smile:

Charlie :smile:
Finance & Economics BSc
Original post by Zangato
I'm so confused!

Hi Zangato,

Well done on your offers! Both are great unis, and I can speak for QUB saying they have great careers support, as well as many extra courses you can take within the Management School for employability. You can chat with some students from the management school here - https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/chat-with-students/ .
I know I'm saying the same things as Charlie, but I do think its important that how much you enjoy where you study depends a lot on the city and not just the course, so if you would like to ask anything about that, please let me know and I'll do my best :smile:

Emily, QUB Bio Sciences
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello!, thank you Charlie and Emily for your reply’s. I was wondering if it’s too difficult to find a part time job in Lancaster or in Belfast, I want to know also what’s the weekly average cost for food in a supermarket.
Again thank you so much for your time.
Original post by Zangato
Hello!, thank you Charlie and Emily for your reply’s. I was wondering if it’s too difficult to find a part time job in Lancaster or in Belfast, I want to know also what’s the weekly average cost for food in a supermarket.

This is a good question!

Firstly I'd like to say that Belfast has the lowest cost of student living in the UK (Which? University, 2018).:smile: I spent around £15 pounds a week on food in first year, with the average being around £17 pounds per week. Going out is super cheap, and my friends are always blown away by how cheap my rent is.
Part time jobs are pretty easy to find, a lot of people I know work in supermarkets or bars, and fit uni into this well. It is also possible to find work on campus, for example being a student ambassador like me!

Emily:smile:
Original post by Zangato

Hi @Zangato,

You're absolutely welcome! This is a good question..

I know so many people who have part time jobs in Lancaster, there's a lot of opportunities in central Lancaster as well as on Campus. The University have a careers service that can help you with finding part time work while you're studying here. There's often hospitality roles, working for the University as a representative and perhaps even assisting on research or academic projects. I don't know many people who have looked for a job and not found one, it really is quite common to work part time alongside your studies.

In terms of living expenses, it really does depend on where you shop and your lifestyle. Typically shops such as Aldi and Lidl can make the weekly shop very reasonable. There is other options like the larger supermarkets and obviously takeaway food and this all adds to the expense! In Lancaster there is options for all budgets and lifestyles so you should find something to suit you :smile:

Happy to help and if you have any other questions, feel free to leave them below!

Charlie :smile:
Finance & Economics BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending