Is a foundation course important for a person studying in art and design?

Watch
WhereThePizzaAt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I was wondering if a foundation course is actually important for a person studying in art and design. Because I got an offer to do a foundation course at the Camberwell College of Arts while initially applying there for the first year and on the other hand, I got an offer from University of Southampton to their first year at Game Art and Design course and an offer from Falmouth University to their first year at Illustration course. So I'm actually thinking: Is the foundation course actually important? If yes, is Camberwell College of Arts is a good place to do a foundation course? Or do I just go to universities from which I got offers to their first year?

It would be a great help if anyone could answer! Thanks a lot in advance!
Saoirse 1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WhereThePizzaAt)
Hello, I was wondering if a foundation course is actually important for a person studying in art and design. Because I got an offer to do a foundation course at the Camberwell College of Arts while initially applying there for the first year and on the other hand, I got an offer from University of Southampton to their first year at Game Art and Design course and an offer from Falmouth University to their first year at Illustration course. So I'm actually thinking: Is the foundation course actually important? If yes, is Camberwell College of Arts is a good place to do a foundation course? Or do I just go to universities from which I got offers to their first year?

It would be a great help if anyone could answer! Thanks a lot in advance!
I mean the foundation courses are a great experience to be able to trail different branches of art and design but ultimately if game art and design is really what you wanna do then go for it. Foundation courses are good to get the experience from other departments but you don't need it if you already know what you want to do. Like if you wanna develop more of your skills I say do a foundation course but as I said if the game art and design course is what u see yourself doing then go for that. Ultimately it's your decision so I wish you the best of luck .
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I would say if you’re applying for courses as different as illustration and games art then a foundation would be a good idea to help you work out what you want to do before you start paying £9k a year fees.
WhereThePizzaAt
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Tbh I would say if you’re applying for courses as different as illustration and games art then a foundation would be a good idea to help you work out what you want to do before you start paying £9k a year fees.
I mean I got accepted to games art as a mistake because I asked the uni if I could change my course to graphic arts and they said that my portfolio is more suitable for game art. However in the future I want to become a comic illustrator so I don't know if I'm right but I think illustration is more suitable for me?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WhereThePizzaAt)
I mean I got accepted to games art as a mistake because I asked the uni if I could change my course to graphic arts and they said that my portfolio is more suitable for game art. However in the future I want to become a comic illustrator so I don't know if I'm right but I think illustration is more suitable for me?
Like I say - I think a foundation diploma is a much better option than rushing onto a degree course when you’re not quite sure what you want to study.

Do you live in London? If not then affording a foundation in London is going to be difficult. Most people study a foundation diploma at a local FE college or university.
WhereThePizzaAt
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Like I say - I think a foundation diploma is a much better option than rushing onto a degree course when you’re not quite sure what you want to study.

Do you live in London? If not then affording a foundation in London is going to be difficult. Most people study a foundation diploma at a local FE college or university.
Nope, I don't even live in the UK, I'm an international student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (175)
44.3%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.01%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.82%

Watched Threads