The Student Room Group

Best black box insurance-most lenient

My mum is making me get a black box for my first year of driving for ‘safety’. Just wondering which are the most lenient which I will be able to do 5-10mph over the limit?? I know people are going to say don’t speed but if you’re going to say that please don’t comment on this post :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lilypop20
My mum is making me get a black box for my first year of driving for ‘safety’. Just wondering which are the most lenient which I will be able to do 5-10mph over the limit?? I know people are going to say don’t speed but if you’re going to say that please don’t comment on this post :smile:

Avoid. She can't force you to get anything.
If you’re consistently going 5-10mph over the speed limit, you’re going to run your score down so low that you stand a good chance of having your insurance invalidated within a year
It’s also against TSR’s Community Guidelines to promote/encourage illegal activity.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
It’s also against TSR’s Community Guidelines to promote/encourage illegal activity.

You mean I can't talk about snorting ******* off a *******'s ******* while ******* my **** and ******* on ***** ****?

Do not get a black box if you intend to exceed the speed limit, or otherwise you risk getting your policy cancelled. A cancelled policy will mean extortionate premiums for years to come. Stay well away from black boxes in general, many people (possibly including your mother) do not understand how often black box insurers cancel policies and the issues that a cancelled policy can cause down the line.

Also, you really shouldn't be intending to speed (especially as a new driver). This sort of attitude may result in your license being revoked under the New Drivers Act.
Original post by IWMTom
You mean I can't talk about snorting ******* off a *******'s ******* while ******* my **** and ******* on ***** ****?

If it was you Tom, I would naturally assume that the asterisks obscured only some law abiding activity :wink:
Reply 7
If it was you Tom, I would naturally assume that the asterisks obscured only some law abiding activity :wink:

Completely!
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Avoid. She can't force you to get anything.

You haven’t met my mum then 🤣 please try convincing the most stubborn woman alive that not having a black box is better for my safety!
Reply 9
You haven’t met my mum then 🤣 please try convincing the most stubborn woman alive that not having a black box is better for my safety!

You're an adult. Act like one.

It's absolutely none of her concern as to what contracts you sign and when.
Parents will 9 out of 10 times make their kids get a blackbox simply because of cost and people hate on a blackbox but unless you’re fairly loaded nobody has like 3 grand just for a 1.0 corsa 🤣 if anyone ever asks me I always tell them get a blackbox for first year just for ncd then switch to normal insurance.

Hastings SmartMiles are fairly decent except the *****y night curfew, I did first year with them which they monitored everything it was awful but when it came to renewing they told me if I stayed with box they only monitor your speeding which seems true as only score that moves for me is speed now and in 2 months I’ll have 2 years ncd so it’s been great for me and I have a 1.6 that costs me I believe £1400 for year.
The problem with BB policies is that regardless of how many replies you get saying “well *I* never had any trouble with mine/I couldn’t have afforded a non-BB policy” there will always be people who have their policies revoked with no evidence from the insurer. They are then stuck declaring that and suffering increased premiums because of it.

A BB is not there to help you be a better driver, (as evidenced by the fact that you’re already looking for leniency so that you can speed with one installed). It’s there so that the insurer can exclude anyone they deem risky and cut their costs.

Do not get a black box
Original post by Teddy650123
Parents will 9 out of 10 times make their kids get a blackbox simply because of cost

Evidence? None of the parentsI know have done this - add a parent as a second driver and our son's first insurance was £800.
Reply 14
Original post by Teddy650123
Parents will 9 out of 10 times make their kids get a blackbox simply because of cost and people hate on a blackbox but unless you’re fairly loaded nobody has like 3 grand just for a 1.0 corsa 🤣 if anyone ever asks me I always tell them get a blackbox for first year just for ncd then switch to normal insurance.

Hastings SmartMiles are fairly decent except the *****y night curfew, I did first year with them which they monitored everything it was awful but when it came to renewing they told me if I stayed with box they only monitor your speeding which seems true as only score that moves for me is speed now and in 2 months I’ll have 2 years ncd so it’s been great for me and I have a 1.6 that costs me I believe £1400 for year.

The lesson here is not to get a 1.0 Corsa.
When i passed my test i was a student and couldn't afford normal insurance just like most young drivers the idea of a blackbox is to encourage safe driving while almost halving your insurance cost i think for no box on my first car was £2300 without was around £1550 so i went for the box, all well and good saying don't get a box its more about can they afford the extra grand or whatever it will be extra.

I might be wrong but i'm assuming your parents are buying you the car or insurance or both? if so of course its their right to pick what insurance you get....what you going say stick your car because THEY wont pay an extra thousand for you not to have a box? if you're the one paying for it then no they cant force you to get a box or just tell them you bought box insurance how would they know? they going to sit looking out window looking for box installation people turning up?

Don't get me wrong i'm no way supporting a black box they're ****, made me want to quit driving like literally first year i had it i must of done probably 400 mile as all i thought about wasn't the road but what clown is going to lower my score and dreading checking the app but in some cases there really isn't much of a choice all you can do is drive like a granny for a year lol. If the problem isn't your parents paying for things then simply buy non box insurance but tell them you did as there really isn't anyway they will know, if they ask where the box is just say its coming then wait until they go out then make out it came and you've fitted it like it isn't hard to BS it, still wondering why you even need to have a box if your parents aren't the ones paying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm going to yet again repeat my mantra of "anyone can get reasonably priced insurance without having to resort to telematics".

It's a false statement to say that "as a young driver you can only afford to get insurance with a black box". One only needs to do some research to achieve a normal policy at an affordable price.

Please see past threads (and my pinned thread) for more information.
Original post by Nick6501

Don't get me wrong i'm no way supporting a black box they're ****, made me want to quit driving like literally first year i had it i must of done probably 400 mile as all i thought about wasn't the road but what clown is going to lower my score and dreading checking the app but in some cases there really isn't much of a choice all you can do is drive like a granny for a year lol.

You forgot to mention your own experience of them threatening to cancel your policy because it was being repaired at a garage despite telling them.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6998711
The problem with BB policies is that regardless of how many replies you get saying “well *I* never had any trouble with mine/I couldn’t have afforded a non-BB policy” there will always be people who have their policies revoked with no evidence from the insurer. They are then stuck declaring that and suffering increased premiums because of it.

A BB is not there to help you be a better driver, (as evidenced by the fact that you’re already looking for leniency so that you can speed with one installed). It’s there so that the insurer can exclude anyone they deem risky and cut their costs.

Yeps, my preferred way to put it is 'The black box policy was great right up until it suddenly wasn't'

Not being able to afford something is a funny one, I can see someone saying 'I really can't afford to get a full insurance policy', but by that same logic they really can't afford the cancellation of a BB policy either...
Thats why i said they are ****. People get them simply for the lower insurance price which is the number 1 reason and yes if your insurance gets cancelled you're ****ed and have to pay even more money but people don't think about that all they see is two options at the time and go with the cheapest and most of the time people get on with a box its just down to each person, i personally haven't but i know people who have been fine with a box on for 1-2 years straight.

After my experience with them no i wouldn't recommend a box but i do see why people get them is what i'm saying and there is no doubt a box lowers insurance more then anything or they wouldn't even be a thing as no one would buy it...people seriously believe drivers buy box insurance for 'safer driving' lmao....they buy it to cut down on costs then pay for it later and with sounds of it his mum is the one paying for insurance so he doesn't really have a say.

For example someone recommended Hastings who he seems to of got on with however when i was with Hastings they were awful.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending