I don’t know if I’m making the wrong decision about University.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey.

I’m starting my first year of university in September and in all honesty, I’m regretting it a lot. Not because I’m not looking forward to my course, in fact I can’t wait for it since I’ve wanted to do it since I was about 13.

My issue is that I haven’t done anything. We’ve been in a pandemic for a year and before that, my life wasn’t exactly fun and adventures. I’m finally an adult and I just want to get in my car and go. I want to travel through Europe and finish the book I’ve always wanted to write, maybe get a job abroad for a while and really push myself to do anything I want to.

My parents think I should defer. I’ve just done 13 years in school so why shouldn’t I take a break, instead of immediately starting 4 years of uni plus a pre-registration year? Well, I could and I think maybe I should but I’ve made a few really good friends on my course and I can’t imagine graduating a year after them. I know I’ll still make friends if I defer but I really get along with these people and if I’m being honest, I have anxiety and they’re definitely easing my worries about moving away from home and doing a difficult course.

So I’m stuck. The solution feels like it should be easy but I just can’t decide on what to do. If I defer, I’m not with my friends and I’ll graduate a year later but if I do the course, I’ll feel like I’m wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Someone help me please. Do you think a gap year is worth it? Do you think I should just start the course?

p.s. Obviously I can travel during next summer but the trip I was going to take costs a few thousand pounds (plus extra if I’m going to Thailand with my brother) so I was going to work full-time until next March(ish) before leaving for a few months but I won’t be able to get that money together if I’m not working full-time.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At which University do you have a place and reading which subject?

The bit where you say "I just want to get in my car and go ... I want to travel through Europe and finish the book I’ve always wanted to write" sounds quite odd; it sounds like something someone in their late forties would say, not someone who must be, what, 18?
sciencequestion8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1 year out isn't a long time at all, so if that’s what you feel you want then I’d suggest go for it. I agree that after spending so long at school it can feel a bit overwhelming knowing you’ve got another few years of it left. I personally took 2 years out before returning to education and I don’t regret it, I don’t feel like I’m behind and I doubt you will either. Just do what you feel is right for you and your situation.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you can’t afford to take a gap year now then start a savings account to fund it and wait until you have the cash

You can take a gap year after starting a degree (most universities are happy to suspend studies for a year), after you graduate or later on after a few years of working.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey.

I’m starting my first year of university in September and in all honesty, I’m regretting it a lot. Not because I’m not looking forward to my course, in fact I can’t wait for it since I’ve wanted to do it since I was about 13.

My issue is that I haven’t done anything. We’ve been in a pandemic for a year and before that, my life wasn’t exactly fun and adventures. I’m finally an adult and I just want to get in my car and go. I want to travel through Europe and finish the book I’ve always wanted to write, maybe get a job abroad for a while and really push myself to do anything I want to.

My parents think I should defer. I’ve just done 13 years in school so why shouldn’t I take a break, instead of immediately starting 4 years of uni plus a pre-registration year? Well, I could and I think maybe I should but I’ve made a few really good friends on my course and I can’t imagine graduating a year after them. I know I’ll still make friends if I defer but I really get along with these people and if I’m being honest, I have anxiety and they’re definitely easing my worries about moving away from home and doing a difficult course.

So I’m stuck. The solution feels like it should be easy but I just can’t decide on what to do. If I defer, I’m not with my friends and I’ll graduate a year later but if I do the course, I’ll feel like I’m wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Someone help me please. Do you think a gap year is worth it? Do you think I should just start the course?

p.s. Obviously I can travel during next summer but the trip I was going to take costs a few thousand pounds (plus extra if I’m going to Thailand with my brother) so I was going to work full-time until next March(ish) before leaving for a few months but I won’t be able to get that money together if I’m not working full-time.
Hey there!

This is a really tricky one - I'm sorry you are stressed!

So I personally took two gap years before I went to university and it was honestly the best decision I ever made! I'm not saying its for everyone because it certainly isn't, but I can tell you it worked for me! I worked full time during these two years to save up money to be able to afford to go to university and be comfortable whilst studying (I didn't want to have to worry about money all the time). It also gave me a lot of time to really think about what I wanted to do and make sure that I was studying the right course for me and going to the right university!

The biggest benefit of my gap years for me though was the personal development - I matured a lot and really learnt how to look after myself and manage my finances. Now I am older than average on my course (I'm 21 and in my 2nd year) but I think thats given me a huge advantage over others.

Of course this is just my personal experience, but I hope this helps you in some way! Good luck - I'm sure it will all work out in the end, whatever you decide!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%