kk15405
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Psychology at A Level.

At the moment I am slightly concerned about how my performance in Maths A Level will go based on my current Maths GCSE results.

In my Maths mock exam which I held in March, I got
- 42% in Paper 1
- 78% in Paper 2
- 78% in Paper 3
This was an Edexcel GCSE Spring 2020 mock paper.

I have just had my final Maths GCSE in the form of Internal Assessments today. For some reason they gave an IGCSE paper and having looked at the grade boundaries I am averaging a high 7/low 8 at the moment. This is on par with what my maths teacher said during my parents evening where he said that I am guaranteed a 7 however he hopes I get a 8.

I would like to do Medicine in the future and so I would like to get at least an A in Maths at A Level. I know a 7-8 might sound like a high grade at GCSE Level however like what I said earlier I need to get at least an A for Maths at A Level. I'm probably overreacting but I really don't know.

Is there anybody in a similar situation to me or has been? And for those who got a 7-8 in Maths GCSE and continued for A Level how did you find it?
Last edited by kk15405; 1 month ago
Mathsssssforever
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kk15405)
Hey! I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Psychology at A Level.

At the moment I am slightly concerned about how my performance in Maths A Level will go based on my current Maths GCSE results.

- 42% in Paper 1
- 78% in Paper 2
- 78% in Paper 3

I have just had my final Maths GCSE in the form of Internal Assessments today. For some reason they gave an IGCSE paper and having looked at the grade boundaries I am averaging a high 7/low 8 at the moment. This is on par with what my maths teacher said during my parents evening where he said that I am guaranteed a 7 however he hopes I get a 8.

I would like to do Medicine in the future and so I would like to get at least an A in Maths at A Level. I know a 7-8 might sound like a high grade at GCSE Level however like what I said earlier I need to get at least an A for Maths at A Level. I'm probably overreacting but I really don't know.

Is there anybody in a similar situation to me or has been? And for those who got a 7-8 in Maths GCSE and continued for A Level how did you find it?
Maths is quite an easy a level it’s just about practise
kk15405
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mathsssssforever)
Maths is quite an easy a level it’s just about practise
kinda feel like thats biased lmfao
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A grade 7 is an A ... I'm concerned you are thinking of taking 4 A levels - this is not recommended.
kk15405
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
A grade 7 is an A ... I'm concerned you are thinking of taking 4 A levels - this is not recommended.
Yes I'm considering dropping Psychology and probably will.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I'm considering dropping Psychology and probably will.
Do some prep work for Maths over the summer - this is a great website:

Great coverage of GCSE: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE

A level: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
Nagromicous
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're definitely using the word "biased" wrong.
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its not easy, I easily got an 8 at GCSE with no maths revision or practise but had to work my butt off to get to A* level at A-level. You don't have to take A-level maths to do med btw, take bio chem psychology if you want since thats also a very popular combo now.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

- 42% in Paper 1
- 78% in Paper 2
- 78% in Paper 3

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

I studied maths at A-level. It is a big jump from GCSE and often good GCSE grades will not guarantee good A-level grades. A-level maths is achievable, you just have to commit more revision time and work. To achieve an A it will be hard, but certainly doable if you put the work in. I would recommend being on top of things from day 1 and doing as many questions and past papers as possible to succeed.

I hope this helps.
Ethan - UOP Rep
Klearr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I got an 8 at GCSE maths from doing the bare minimum, my teacher told me if i ever wanted to do maths a level, id need to put in alot more effort that i had already been doing. Safe to say she was right, Maths a level is no joke. The questions are alot different than GCSE and the jump is large. First year was hell for me but second year got slightly better, Maybe its because i did it during the corona outbreak so my revision and motivation was at an all time low, either way heres my advice:

If you want to do maths a level, make sure you love maths. theres nothing worse than trying to revise for a subject that you hate especially when that subject is difficult.
Study, things look like common sense but believe me, its alot different when youre taking the exam
Really think about if you want to do it, you can have other choices to get into medicine

Any questions, ill be happy to help

Good luck, youll need it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (159)
44.41%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
20.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (21)
5.87%

Watched Threads