Need Help Identifying Insects Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chris Shearer C
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You know what's really weird (to my way of thinking at least) - there are no newsgroups on
insects. Wouldn't you think, with the incredible profusion of bizarre newsgroups, there would be
even one on insects?

Anyway, here's my question (and feel free to tell me a forum better suited to providing an answer if
there is one) ...

We were vacationing down around Cripple Creek, Colorado a couple weekends ago, and were picnicking
near some mountain streams, and noticed some strange insects in the water.

The first was what looked like a night-crawler (wormlike, maybe 1/4" in diameter, 2" long) that had
a very leach-looking mouth on it. Our guess was, based on watching it, that it used that mouth to
suck spuge off the bottom of the stream and then flip over and get a breath of air every once in a
while. Any ideas what this might be?

The other insects we saw, were on the bottoms of rocks in the water. At first they looked like tubes
of sand, maybe 1/4" across and 1" long, but then we noticed there were insects inside the tubes -
and one even crawled out so we could look at him, he looked ... well ... like a bug. Maybe a
silverfish. Crawly kind of thing, probably 6 legs. I have vague memories of this being the larval
stage of ... maybe dragonflies?

Any help appreciated, and if there are good web sites out there with pictures of bugs (so I can
identify other wee beasties I run across in the future) that would be great too!

Thanks! Chris chris at sc3 dot net

p.s. Even though Governor Owens says "all of Colorado is burning", he's a politician and enjoys
exaggeration. The fires here are most certainly nasty, dangerous, and are doing damage, but
still represent an extremely small percentage of the overall area of the state... if you were
considering a Colorado vacation, don't let the news media scare you off ... call and find out
about the areas you wanted to visit, 99.99% of the state is in no danger, not smoke-filled,
etc., etc., etc. ...
John G Davies
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
May I suggest that you lay your hands on a book which contains pictures of "Freshwater
Invertebrates", it should be laid out in sections with pictures of worms, molluscs, insects, etc.
I'm only familiar with UK books, there must be plenty of good US books for identifying the beasties
you describe. Cheers

In article <[email protected] ii.net>, Chris Shearer Cooper <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>You know what's really weird (to my way of thinking at least) - there are no newsgroups on[/q1]
[q1]>insects. Wouldn't you think, with the incredible profusion of bizarre newsgroups, there would be[/q1]
[q1]>even one on insects?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Anyway, here's my question (and feel free to tell me a forum better suited to providing an answer[/q1]
[q1]>if there is one) ...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>We were vacationing down around Cripple Creek, Colorado a couple weekends ago, and were picnicking[/q1]
[q1]>near some mountain streams, and noticed some strange insects in the water.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The first was what looked like a night-crawler (wormlike, maybe 1/4" in diameter, 2" long) that had[/q1]
[q1]>a very leach-looking mouth on it. Our guess was, based on watching it, that it used that mouth to[/q1]
[q1]>suck spuge off the bottom of the stream and then flip over and get a breath of air every once in a[/q1]
[q1]>while. Any ideas what this might be?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The other insects we saw, were on the bottoms of rocks in the water. At first they looked like[/q1]
[q1]>tubes of sand, maybe 1/4" across and 1" long, but then we noticed there were insects inside the[/q1]
[q1]>tubes - and one even crawled out so we could look at him, he looked ... well ... like a bug. Maybe[/q1]
[q1]>a silverfish. Crawly kind of thing, probably 6 legs. I have vague memories of this being the larval[/q1]
[q1]>stage of ... maybe dragonflies?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Any help appreciated, and if there are good web sites out there with pictures of bugs (so I can[/q1]
[q1]>identify other wee beasties I run across in the future) that would be great too![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Thanks! Chris chris at sc3 dot net[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>p.s. Even though Governor Owens says "all of Colorado is burning", he's a politician and enjoys[/q1]
[q1]> exaggeration. The fires here are most certainly nasty, dangerous, and are doing damage, but[/q1]
[q1]> still represent an extremely small percentage of the overall area of the state... if you were[/q1]
[q1]> considering a Colorado vacation, don't let the news media scare you off ... call and find out[/q1]
[q1]> about the areas you wanted to visit, 99.99% of the state is in no danger, not smoke-filled,[/q1]
[q1]> etc., etc., etc. ...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

--
John G Davies
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (208)
12.78%
Excited (144)
8.85%
Worried (295)
18.12%
Terrified (367)
22.54%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%