The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Should I apply to imperial with bad GCSE’s?

Applying: Computing BEng
A levels: Business, Economics, Maths & Further Maths:
Achieved 4A*. (I know they don’t count business so 3 A*)

GCSE:66655544433

Do imperial care about GCSE’s? Should I still apply?
achieved A-levels like that negate GCSEs entirely. Typically they use GCSEs a lot nowadays (unofficially) to confirm predicted A-level grades but you have achieved yours and demonstrated upwards trajectory. That being said that course i very competitive at imperial so it doesn't guarantee anything.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I don't think Imperial really cares about GCSEs.
Original post by Anonware
Applying: Computing BEng
A levels: Business, Economics, Maths & Further Maths:
Achieved 4A*. (I know they don’t count business so 3 A*)

GCSE:66655544433

Do imperial care about GCSE’s? Should I still apply?

Hi there,

There is an English language requirement (across all courses), which is that all applicants to the college are required to have a 6 (or above) in GCSE English Language if the student has taken it. If the student has taken GCSES and not achieved this it will be part of the offer (e.g. a retake). A full list of alternative qualifications accepted can be found on the website.

Other than this, there is no particular grade requirement for GCSE's. I'd also like to point out that admissions look for many different things, and don't look at grades alone: they look at the correct predicted grades and subjects, a good teacher’s reference stating your academic ability and position in class, and a strong personal statement outlining your reasons for applying to the course, with details about any curricular or extra-curricular work or activities you have undertaken and any further reading or research you have done which are relevant to the course. They are looking primarily for information that is relevant to the subject and academia, with a smaller amount of information about your hobbies and interests.

If you have more questions about Admissions or would like to clarify this from Admissions directly, they can be contacted at [email protected].

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Anudi
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Imperial students
Hi there,

There is an English language requirement (across all courses), which is that all applicants to the college are required to have a 6 (or above) in GCSE English Language if the student has taken it. If the student has taken GCSES and not achieved this it will be part of the offer (e.g. a retake). A full list of alternative qualifications accepted can be found on the website.

Other than this, there is no particular grade requirement for GCSE's. I'd also like to point out that admissions look for many different things, and don't look at grades alone: they look at the correct predicted grades and subjects, a good teacher’s reference stating your academic ability and position in class, and a strong personal statement outlining your reasons for applying to the course, with details about any curricular or extra-curricular work or activities you have undertaken and any further reading or research you have done which are relevant to the course. They are looking primarily for information that is relevant to the subject and academia, with a smaller amount of information about your hobbies and interests.

If you have more questions about Admissions or would like to clarify this from Admissions directly, they can be contacted at [email protected].

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Anudi

Wow, thanks imperial and thanks Anudi for you helpful reply. That completely makes sense and really clarified things! I will be taking this information into future consideration
Remember you’ll mostly definitely have a step requirement for cs so be prepared to take that. I’ve really been struggling with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending