SamiraLorenzo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi folks,
I’m hoping to become a solicitor and I understand that A levels are important. I however am really concerned with what my grades will be in August and I won’t be able to apply beyond my firm which is not a Russell Group.

I’ll be checking clearing and adjustment as soon as it is the 5th of July to be extra prepared,but I can I do to prove to admissions teams that I’m a good candidate for Law or potientally another degree such as Politics and I’ll switch over in the GDL. Any advice offered is really much appreciated,thank you!
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SamiraLorenzo)
Hi folks,
I’m hoping to become a solicitor and I understand that A levels are important. I however am really concerned with what my grades will be in August and I won’t be able to apply beyond my firm which is not a Russell Group.

I’ll be checking clearing and adjustment as soon as it is the 5th of July to be extra prepared,but I can I do to prove to admissions teams that I’m a good candidate for Law or potientally another degree such as Politics and I’ll switch over in the GDL. Any advice offered is really much appreciated,thank you!
First of all don't worry because there is absolutely no requirement for you to have gone to a RG to become a solicitor. it can help, but only because sometimes you can make contacts/connections there or some have a more enjoyable/better course for you personally. some firms, particularly smaller ones, have things like "we take graduates from top universities" on their website but that's a minority and I know plenty of trainees who didn't come from a RG at firms that are consistently ranked way higher than these snobbier ones. personally I'm at a RG and the firm I have a TC with has recruited only about just over half their trainees from the rg so no absolute dominance by any means. similarly i only know two other people in my year (studying law) who have training contracts.

because of this i would really not worry too much about trying to get a law place at a RG through clearing. it does not guarantee a tc. if you find a university you'd really like to switch to because of personal reasons or more reasons than just that and it happens to be an RG i'd say go for it, but i really would advise you not to put pressure on yourself to do something like politics if you want to do a law degree just for the sake of getting into the russel group. it's three or four years of your life so don't pick a subject you hate just to get into a uni that's higher up on a league table.

you're right that a levels are important because some firms have cut offs of AAA/AAB. this is dependent also of course on whether or not you have mitigating circumstances and some firms have lower requirements than that or no requirements at all. most 'top' firms these days will look at your application as a whole rather than immediately disqualify you just based on that (being totally honest - i have heard some firms are way more tough on it but it's probably a blessing because do you really want to work at a place like that anyway?). people getting their a levels this and last year have i understand it had a horrible time with predictions, so i would be interested to see whether firms relax their requirements slightly for your intake year. that's just speculation though. either way please don't stress yourself out about this - whether or not you get a tc will be more based on what you do at uni and for your extracurriculars/extra skills than the name.
Last edited by chalbliagtelle; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise