Major final year graduation crisis - unsubmitted dissertation and assignment

Watch
Waitinginthecafe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This year is my final year at uni, and I was originally on track for a first. But Covid has taken a toll on my mental health this year and so far I've failed to submit my dissertation on time after being granted an extension (I had to just put it aside all together just so I can move on and work on my exams), and on top of that submitted an assignment weighing 50% of a course more than a week past the deadline (so far I've not submitted extenuating cricumstances claim either out of fear it wont be accepted... I know its dumb not to but fear is stopping me from doing it).I did manage to complete all my exams on time and should be able to pass in everything else.Not getting a pass in my dissertation and that 50% assignment will mean I can't graduate with an honours degree, and I am really stressed out just thinking about it.I am planning to speak to my university after I finish my last exam, but am really scared they will not let me redo the dissertation and the assignment. After all, I've already used my mental issues as evidence to get extensions. Plus my uni has a policy of not allowing resits for final year courses.What do you guys think are the prospects of me getting permission to redo things so I can at least graduate with honours? (at this point I would be happy with a third)
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Waitinginthecafe)
This year is my final year at uni, and I was originally on track for a first. But Covid has taken a toll on my mental health this year and so far I've failed to submit my dissertation on time after being granted an extension (I had to just put it aside all together just so I can move on and work on my exams), and on top of that submitted an assignment weighing 50% of a course more than a week past the deadline (so far I've not submitted extenuating cricumstances claim either out of fear it wont be accepted... I know its dumb not to but fear is stopping me from doing it).I did manage to complete all my exams on time and should be able to pass in everything else.Not getting a pass in my dissertation and that 50% assignment will mean I can't graduate with an honours degree, and I am really stressed out just thinking about it.I am planning to speak to my university after I finish my last exam, but am really scared they will not let me redo the dissertation and the assignment. After all, I've already used my mental issues as evidence to get extensions. Plus my uni has a policy of not allowing resits for final year courses.What do you guys think are the prospects of me getting permission to redo things so I can at least graduate with honours? (at this point I would be happy with a third)
First thing you need to do is try not to panic. I strongly recommend going to speak to your personal tutor ASAP to get the ball rolling on everything you need. Don't wait until the end of your exam period to do this. If your mental health issues are persisting, you can use them again as EC evidence, it's not like a one-and-done deal.

An option you may have (but you will need to confirm this with your university) is to resit the assignment and dissertation either as a first or second attempt in the summer. The consequence of that would be that you graduate in the winter instead, which is probably why your university doesn't recommend that as a first course of action.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Waitinginthecafe,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are so stressed.

I would suggest that you speak to your academic tutor as soon as possible - don't leave it until the end of exams! The earlier that you tell someone, the more likely they are to be able to sort something out in time for you. It would also be worth going to your dissertation supervisor and letting them know what is going on. Just start with sending out some emails to people - communication is the most important thing!

But whilst uni is important, don't put your mental health at risk - that is the priority. I hope things get better for you

I hope this helps and I'm sure it will work out!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
That really sucks about your uni not allowing resits in the final year! Especially because of covid. I am in exactly the same boat of you, i am on track to a first, but because of covid i lost all motivation in the last two months and my mental health was really bad and my dissertation is due tomorrow and i have only 1k words. I might not submit it either. But my uni has a covid policy where everyone is offered an uncapped first sit for modules/assignments they fail or don't complete - which is why i think its unfair your uni doesn't even allow resits - are you sure you aren't even allowed a capped resit?

I would definitely apply for extenuating circumstances. Your mental health issues are valid and should always be valid, even if you've already used them as evidence. I hope you are okay!
Waitinginthecafe
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
First thing you need to do is try not to panic. I strongly recommend going to speak to your personal tutor ASAP to get the ball rolling on everything you need. Don't wait until the end of your exam period to do this. If your mental health issues are persisting, you can use them again as EC evidence, it's not like a one-and-done deal.

An option you may have (but you will need to confirm this with your university) is to resit the assignment and dissertation either as a first or second attempt in the summer. The consequence of that would be that you graduate in the winter instead, which is probably why your university doesn't recommend that as a first course of action.
Many thanks for your reply. Tbh my greatest fear is that they won't let me resit judging from how strict my uni sounds with their current policies (no resits and long term health issue not counting as EC etc.). You are 100% right I should contact them now, that's the least I can do now.
Waitinginthecafe
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hey Waitinginthecafe,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are so stressed.

I would suggest that you speak to your academic tutor as soon as possible - don't leave it until the end of exams! The earlier that you tell someone, the more likely they are to be able to sort something out in time for you. It would also be worth going to your dissertation supervisor and letting them know what is going on. Just start with sending out some emails to people - communication is the most important thing!

But whilst uni is important, don't put your mental health at risk - that is the priority. I hope things get better for you

I hope this helps and I'm sure it will work out!

Daisy
Thanks for the good advice and encouragement! As a fourth year student your maturity puts me to shame. I will for sure contact ppl at uni asap now!
Waitinginthecafe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
That really sucks about your uni not allowing resits in the final year! Especially because of covid. I am in exactly the same boat of you, i am on track to a first, but because of covid i lost all motivation in the last two months and my mental health was really bad and my dissertation is due tomorrow and i have only 1k words. I might not submit it either. But my uni has a covid policy where everyone is offered an uncapped first sit for modules/assignments they fail or don't complete - which is why i think its unfair your uni doesn't even allow resits - are you sure you aren't even allowed a capped resit?

I would definitely apply for extenuating circumstances. Your mental health issues are valid and should always be valid, even if you've already used them as evidence. I hope you are okay!
Yeah... I don't know why my uni is doing this... Also I just received bad news from uni staff saying there is simply no resit opportunity at all in final year, the only thing I can do is submitting EC...

I really hope your dissertation and exams turn out well too!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many thanks for your reply. Tbh my greatest fear is that they won't let me resit judging from how strict my uni sounds with their current policies (no resits and long term health issue not counting as EC etc.). You are 100% right I should contact them now, that's the least I can do now.
You'll never know unless you contact someone and/or put in an EC claim, otherwise the default option is to potentially fail for non-submission. So it's important to be proactive about your circumstances and needs.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Uni's are generally much more understanding in the current climate with regards to students needing extra time to complete assignments. If your extenuating circumstances were accepted to grant the extension, it's very likely you could have been given a deferral as well. That's what I did.

I also agree with everything everyone else has said - seek help ASAP, explain your situation and clarify the guidance on ECs, extensions and deferrals for your current semester.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the good advice and encouragement! As a fourth year student your maturity puts me to shame. I will for sure contact ppl at uni asap now!
Waitinginthecafe,

You are so welcome! You've got this - I believe in you!

Ps I am actually 21, so I'm old for a second year - don't worry

Daisy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads