The Student Room Group

Biomedical science or Pharmacy.

Hi everyone.
Am kindly asking for guidance on which course to take between Biomedical science or Pharmacy.

Kindly highlight why.
Thank you in anticipation.
Well that depends on what you want to do - they are very different degrees.
I also had this debate and spent 2 days shadowing a hospital pharmacist and realised it very much wasn't for me.
Community Pharmacy I talked to people about and thought it may become a little boring after a time as you are restricted in the advice you can give and medicines you can give without going thorugh a doctor, but if you like a customer facing role where you can genuinely help them it may be for you.
Industrial pharmacy is a little different and less consumer facing so worth looking into if you prefer that.
If you enjoy talking to new people (in a hospital they might be very sick or worried so you need a calm confident manner) then pharmacy is probably for you.
I didn't study Pharmacy so my limitation of what the degree content is limited but I can talk about biomed.
Biomed degrees are pretty broad but generally most unis will cover core areas such as physiology, immunology, molecular biology, we had options to study epidemiology, nueroscience, cancer, pharmacology and so much more - look at the syllabus for unis you are interested in.
In biomed we got a fair amount of lab time especially in our final year and are set up to be able to enter organisations as research scientist, particularly in the drug discovery field.
In short both probably make you employable & both can lead to careers in and out of the lab.
Original post by Wise NG
Hi everyone.
Am kindly asking for guidance on which course to take between Biomedical science or Pharmacy.

Kindly highlight why.
Thank you in anticipation.

Hey @Wise NG,

As a current 3rd year pharmacy student I would say they probably are quite different degrees. Firstly, pharmacy is a vocational subject meaning that essentially everyone in pharmacy wants to become a pharmacist and will all be following similar training. We not only learn about how drugs work (the biology and chemistry of drugs), but we also have to spend a good amount of time refining our clinical skills. This could be writing treatment plans for fictitious patients, learning how to counsel patients etc. Additionally, we don't have any optional modules etc during the degree as everyone essentially needs to know about all of the topics as a pharmacist.

However, I would agree with @bits.of.bio in the sense that they both are good degrees that are highly sought after. I personally would also speak to Lily who is currently studying Biomedical Sciences so you can get more of a feel as to which is more suited to you.

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if there are any other questions!
From,

Amina
3rd year pharmacy student
The truth is, nobody can really offer you any decent advice considering you've offered no insight into what YOU want from a degree, and future career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending