anon1830486
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya can someone mark my essay and grade it but also give me improvements thanks

essay down below
anon1830486
Rep:
?
Write about the character of Birling and the way he is presented in An Inspector Calls.

Throughout the 20th century Morality play, ‘An Inspector Calls’, Priestley superbly communicates the presentation of Mr Birling as an active member of the Bromley community and thinks he might run his own knighthood as he is an arrogant man who only desires for business and money and not his surroundings such as his family or child as he lacks responsibility and remorse throughout the entire play.
Priestley begins the play with Mr Birling’s huge speech to eradicate his predictions for the future as he comes across as a person at the start to be a person of money but suggests he desires greed and lust and not love and unity in the community as he is immediately shown to be a “hard headed business man” as he endeavours in is wrong doings and so believes money is like a idol . As the adjective “hard” depicts he is selfish and not like an ordinary capitalist who cares about politics but this implies he would abuse the upper and lower classes as he would not have responsibility to help innocent people who are have no money to survive. Audience will feel cold-hearted because they may think people of class don’t act up like Mr birling is like but is the opposite of societies expectations as people in the community would not like how disrespectful Mr Birling would come across a unworthy person.

At the very start of the extract , Gerald helps Birling to decanter from the port as Gerald the younger class care about what he does as Birling isn’t weary of what he has said of his wife as he is seen to be overly confident s the quote strict confidence” confides Mr Birling to be over the top when he is smoking as he indulges in with Gerald’s conversations about having knighthood but Birling says he has taken more socially then Birlings wife as he is suggesting he is keeping something secret at the fact there is more information of some obvious evidence. The imagery “strict” depicts Mr birling to be a serious and mean-spirted old man who treats his children inadequately but also reencounters poor communication as Mr Birling think they are children as this shows the class divide between old and the younger generation. Gerald may feel as if he is not shown courtesy around his family as the audience may feel distort at the lack of remorse shown from Mr birling as he tries not to be kind as only cares what he thinks and not to others.

Further on in the extract Mr birling is speaking about the knighthood as he says to Gerald not to end up in bad situation as Mr birling recalls he was the Lord mayor once suggests that Mr birling is an at higher status unlike Gerald is as Birling is shown to flaunt his past but memorable achievements. But also, talks serious but carefully as he wants Gerald to not commit any bad wrong doings as the command “don’t get into the police court or start a scandal” clarifies how undemanding Mr birling is towards his son-in law as he wants his business to become a successful which might develop his money even further as he commands Gerald to be a wise gentleman who would be responsible for his business so it could be successful at all costs. The unusual image” scandal might connote Gerald’s scandal with Eva smith as he had done a callous act on had in the previous acts Mr Birling being too tough on Gerald to not become a man to loose responsibility to himself. Audience may feel at unease as Mr birling is pressuring Gerald to eradicate his ways of how he is seen to make his surroundings perfect as this will also make the audience unhappy as his views the younger generation badly.

At the very end of the extract Mr birling is enclosing his situation of misconducting Gerald’s affair with Eva as Gerald back down every single way of evidence as he hides if evidently so that Birling wouldn’t try confidently say anything with Gerald as oppose to not running his business in the future. The engagement is being enclose the family are sure Gerald is a great man after all for Sheila. As Mr Birling says “promise her that we’ll try to keep out of trouble during the next few months” this shows Birling to have an important conversation between two genders which would understand each other. Birling also promises Gerald to hint him to “keep out of trouble” as the repetition is shown to intimidate Gerald so that he could not do any regret of actions as he later shown to not escape his affair with Eva Smith. As the audience are to be unwary of Birling as he repeats himself plenty of times to make his son-in law the one he wanted after all.

Overall, Mr birling is shown to be part of the older generation who has a significant wealth which he only has possession over one and all his surroundings and his family as his shown throughout the play to be lacks responsibility and deactivates his actions to be of choice of his capitalist ideals, granting a voice to those who have been marginalised.
anon1830486
Rep:
?
bump
anon1830486
Rep:
?
pls
anon1830486
Rep:
?
bump
anon1830486
Rep:
?
yhhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (150)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.63%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
20.93%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.88%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.81%

Watched Threads