ana9373
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My grades from my most recent exams are crap and I’m worried I’m going to get d’s e’s at a level, during clearing will universities accept lower grades for courses?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some will some wont - it depends on demand and whether their course is suitable for students with those grades. If they know you're going to struggle and fail then they wont take you.
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Some will some wont - it depends on demand and whether their course is suitable for students with those grades. If they know you're going to struggle and fail then they wont take you.
Thanks mate, really anxious about results day ahaha
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subject?
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Subject?
law
The University of Law Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ana9373)
My grades from my most recent exams are crap and I’m worried I’m going to get d’s e’s at a level, during clearing will universities accept lower grades for courses?
Yes some do accept lower grades as PQ said, some are also making allowances for this year due to the pandemic too. Demand for the course will dictate whether they offer places based on lower grades. But something to think about is if you've not the grades you thought you would, is there a reason? Can you explain the mitigating circumstances to the university? or apply for adjustment with the examining board if the deadline hasn't passed? Can you offer up references that will support your ability that may help you secure a place otherwise?

And if it does all go wrong, and you don't get the grades and you don't get a place- don't panic. There's plenty of time to step back and work out what it is you want to do and explore other routes to get there (including resitting exams if you want to). There are lots of routes into law. At the moment, you haven't got your results so it may not be as bad as you fear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

All the best with it!
Nic
Student Ambassador
University of Law
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Yes some do accept lower grades as PQ said, some are also making allowances for this year due to the pandemic too. Demand for the course will dictate whether they offer places based on lower grades. But something to think about is if you've not the grades you thought you would, is there a reason? Can you explain the mitigating circumstances to the university? or apply for adjustment with the examining board if the deadline hasn't passed? Can you offer up references that will support your ability that may help you secure a place otherwise?

And if it does all go wrong, and you don't get the grades and you don't get a place- don't panic. There's plenty of time to step back and work out what it is you want to do and explore other routes to get there (including resitting exams if you want to). There are lots of routes into law. At the moment, you haven't got your results so it may not be as bad as you fear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

All the best with it!
Nic
Student Ambassador
University of Law
Well, I suppose the pandemic has really affected my learning. Mainly because, previous to the whole corona and lockdown situation that resulted in online learning, I was gaining A's and B's in the majority of, if not all of my essays with the odd C grade. However, since the pandemic surfaced I've only managed a few B's and one A, I really think that online learning hasn't helped at all this year in helping towards my education but I know for a fact that I'm truly capable of achieving the best grades at uni with hard work and resilience. Despite this whole situation, I can argue that I have tried my best. I've read that universities take the actual student into consideration and they don't base the whole application on their grades if they were to discuss my work with my teachers, im almost 100% certain that they would agree i'm very hardworking. I also come from an area where not many go on to university which could be a relating factor, I just really really want to take up Law at a good university because i know i'm capable despite my grades not showing that I am.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I suppose the pandemic has really affected my learning. Mainly because, previous to the whole corona and lockdown situation that resulted in online learning, I was gaining A's and B's in the majority of, if not all of my essays with the odd C grade. However, since the pandemic surfaced I've only managed a few B's and one A, I really think that online learning hasn't helped at all this year in helping towards my education but I know for a fact that I'm truly capable of achieving the best grades at uni with hard work and resilience. Despite this whole situation, I can argue that I have tried my best. I've read that universities take the actual student into consideration and they don't base the whole application on their grades if they were to discuss my work with my teachers, im almost 100% certain that they would agree i'm very hardworking. I also come from an area where not many go on to university which could be a relating factor, I just really really want to take up Law at a good university because i know i'm capable despite my grades not showing that I am.
Hey, im Tasha (a diff ULaw student) and I just wanted to comment and try ease your mind a bit!

I done my LLB with ULaw 2017-2020 and came in through clearing! I also had offers from other unis despite my bad grades (BCD) I promise you it isnt a be all end all situation! Like you said, unis look at the individual too; they will read your personal statement and gage how hard working you are! Your a levels don’t define you and you can definitely make a turn around and smash your uni degree :-) I ended up with a 1st so now it doesn’t phase me that I got bad a levels. Like you said there are individual reasons as to why people don’t get the grades they want/ expected, especially this year with the big changes to online learning etc.

I’m sure your a levels will be good, but if not just make sure you know how clearing works! When I done it (bare in mind this was 2017) I just rang up ULaw clearing hotline and it was really simple!

Wishing you all the best
Tasha :-)
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hey, im Tasha (a diff ULaw student) and I just wanted to comment and try ease your mind a bit!

I done my LLB with ULaw 2017-2020 and came in through clearing! I also had offers from other unis despite my bad grades (BCD) I promise you it isnt a be all end all situation! Like you said, unis look at the individual too; they will read your personal statement and gage how hard working you are! Your a levels don’t define you and you can definitely make a turn around and smash your uni degree :-) I ended up with a 1st so now it doesn’t phase me that I got bad a levels. Like you said there are individual reasons as to why people don’t get the grades they want/ expected, especially this year with the big changes to online learning etc.

I’m sure your a levels will be good, but if not just make sure you know how clearing works! When I done it (bare in mind this was 2017) I just rang up ULaw clearing hotline and it was really simple!

Wishing you all the best
Tasha :-)
Thank-you, you've honestly eased my worries. Do you reckon I can still get into a Russell group with crappy grades?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you reckon I can still get into a Russell group with crappy grades?
I suggest you post this a s a question in the Law Forum - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank-you, you've honestly eased my worries. Do you reckon I can still get into a Russell group with crappy grades?
You’re very welcome! Ooh can’t advise about Russel groups sorry, is suggest starting a new thread asking this and seeing if anyone from a Russel group knows :-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya,

There is no harm in applying! If you can show that you have done lots of extra-curricular activities related to the course then you just might. Quite often these universities ask you to undertake an interview. So this is where you can really show your personality

I hope this helps
Tabby
(Student Ambassador - ULAW)
EstL
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have circumstances such as mental health or selectivity of school then fill out the widening access form and they might consider you with lower grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (222)
43.36%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.33%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.09%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.13%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.47%

Watched Threads