What course should I take before applying for top Uni¿ (mature student)

Watch
SHS2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m finally ready to continue my education but would like to able to put in a competitive application to study English Literature for universities asking for AAA grades
Since I didn’t get these grades 4 years ago and have been out of education since then I’m hoping to do some kind of Access Course/ Foundation degree next year.

I’m considering doing part of an Open University Degree but I’m a bit lost trying to find other options. Does anyone have any leads or advice¿

Thank you¡
Last edited by SHS2; 1 month ago
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could just apply as you are. The skills from whatever it is you’ve been doing since alevels will give you the competitive advantage you’re looking for
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHS2)
I’m finally ready to continue my education but would like to able to put in a competitive application to study English Literature for universities asking for AAA grades
Since I didn’t get these grades 4 years ago and have been out of education since then I’m hoping to do some kind of Access Course/ Foundation degree next year.

I’m considering doing part of an Open University Degree but I’m a bit lost trying to find other options. Does anyone have any leads or advice¿

Thank you¡
Just do an Access to HE course. They are accepted by all the top unis, plus they're much cheaper than any other option. Doing part of an Open Uni degree will not make your application more likely to be accepted, but it will eat into your student finance entitlement and may prevent you from getting a full loan.

(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
You could just apply as you are. The skills from whatever it is you’ve been doing since alevels will give you the competitive advantage you’re looking for
For an English Lit degree that is unlikely, especially at a top uni.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHS2)

Thank you¡
Hi SHS2,

It maybe that the access to Education course is your best route, although I am not 100% certain why you only want to look at places that give offers of AAA or above. There are many different things to consider when picking a University, which vary according to the applicant's wants. I had a couple of offers when I was looking, and picked Hull because of the feel of the Campus when I visited, I also wanted to enjoy a year studying / living abroad. Do some research on all the different options out there, different English courses will have different modules and you get excited by some of them. It seems strange, to me at least, if you don't consider a place because its usual offer is AAB for example.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Littlechickens22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are some top unis who do foundation year with English Literature. In my honest opinion, foundation years prepares you for Uni with the skills needed for your course.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi SHS2,

It maybe that the access to Education course is your best route, although I am not 100% certain why you only want to look at places that give offers of AAA or above. There are many different things to consider when picking a University, which vary according to the applicant's wants. I had a couple of offers when I was looking, and picked Hull because of the feel of the Campus when I visited, I also wanted to enjoy a year studying / living abroad. Do some research on all the different options out there, different English courses will have different modules and you get excited by some of them. It seems strange, to me at least, if you don't consider a place because its usual offer is AAB for example.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
To be fair the OP did say "top uni" not just unis that ask for AAA. Makes complete sense to target top unis, why not try and get the most bang for your buck?
St Edmund's Admission
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHS2)

Thank you¡
Hi, I'm an admissions tutor and one of Cambridge University's colleges for mature students and I'd be happy to help. Either an Access course or OU credits are great preparation, but as others have side the financial support available is different. We've written a guide to making a competitive application as a mature student which you might find useful. An access course with a focus on literature would be important and these can be hard to find, particularly if you're looking to study locally.

Another option might be the Cambridge Foundation Year, if you meet the eligibility requirements? You'd need to have some recent and relevant study, but this wouldn't need to be fully equivalent to A levels or an Access course (for example a few OU modules).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads