laloth123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Heyyy,
Could someone please help me with this question?
Compound T, C4H10O, is oxidised by acidified potassium dichromate to form compound U, C4H8O
U gives an organe precipitate with Brady's regent, but does not give a red precipitate with heated Fehling's solution
T reacts with ethanoyl chloride to form V, C6H12O2
Find the structures of T,U and V

Thank you!
JGLM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol i’ve seen this question... Key points are : Brady’s reagent turns orange in the presence of a C=O group. Fehlings only produces a red precipitate with Aldehydes NOT Ketones. That gives you enough information to figure out T and U. Then alcohols and acyl chlorides make esters.
laloth123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JGLM)
Lol i’ve seen this question... Key points are : Brady’s reagent turns orange in the presence of a C=O group. Fehlings only produces a red precipitate with Aldehydes NOT Ketones. That gives you enough information to figure out T and U. Then alcohols and acyl chlorides make esters.
oh yes I forgot that they react to give esters! I'm kind of hoping my School will just use the assessment recourses sent out by Edexcel hahah
Thank you!
JGLM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by laloth123)
oh yes I forgot that they react to give esters! I'm kind of hoping my School will just use the assessment recourses sent out by Edexcel hahah
Thank you!
Yes my school used them, I had that question in one of my exams lmao.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (24)
30%
No (56)
70%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise