The Student Room Group

Sociology at University level

Hi! I'm looking to study sociology at university, however, a few of the universities I'm looking at only offer it as a masters degree, and instead offer "Social sciences" as a bachelors degree. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two and I wanted to ask whether I should instead look at other unis or take social sciences and later move to sociology after I get a bachelors degree. Advice is appreciated :smile:)
Idk either bro but sociology is the way to go just don't make the mistake I did by eating raw chicken and dragging your litter tray into lectures and you'll be fine. Anyway I'm applying later this year and my results weren't that good I only got 100A* but I'm getting a job as an influencer and getting paid big bucks to wave a chicken in front of my local 5g tower.
Reply 2
Original post by Prefect1992
Idk either bro but sociology is the way to go just don't make the mistake I did by eating raw chicken and dragging your litter tray into lectures and you'll be fine. Anyway I'm applying later this year and my results weren't that good I only got 100A* but I'm getting a job as an influencer and getting paid big bucks to wave a chicken in front of my local 5g tower.

thanks mate 🙏
Original post by ktalih04
Hi! I'm looking to study sociology at university, however, a few of the universities I'm looking at only offer it as a masters degree, and instead offer "Social sciences" as a bachelors degree. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two and I wanted to ask whether I should instead look at other unis or take social sciences and later move to sociology after I get a bachelors degree. Advice is appreciated :smile:)

Hi there,

I am a current Sociology student at the University of Bath. Here at Bath we do offer both a Social Sciences and Sociology option, both also at undergraduate and masters level. Many other universities also do the same.

Generally, Social Sciences is more broad and can include studying many disciplines within Social Sciences such as Psychology, International Relations and Politics, as well as Sociology. If you are passionate about studying Sociology in particular I would recommend doing a Sociology degree on its own, here at Bath though even if you do just do a Sociology degree you do still have the option to explore other disciplines with optional module choices.

Sociology at Bath primarily focuses on the exploring the social world in which we live, with most modules based around research methods, policy and theory, with optional module choices. You can choose to learn about many different areas of the social world, including crime, the family, religion and education. You check out the University of Bath's website here, which tells you about the different courses.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Final Sociology Student)

Quick Reply

Latest