Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A Level Further Maths

(i) Express e^ikθ and e^-ikθ in the form a + ib, and show that
e^2iθ - 1 = 2ie^iθ sinθ

My working:

e^ikθ = cos(kθ) + isin(kθ)
e^-ikθ = cos(kθ) - isin(kθ)

e^2iθ - 1 = cos(2θ) + isin(2θ) - 1

From here on I'm a bit stuck... I've done the expansion of (c + is)^2 but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Help???
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by woffle)
A Level Further Maths

e^2iθ - 1 = 2ie^iθ sinθ

My working:

From here on I'm a bit stuck... I've done the expansion of (c + is)^2 but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Help???
There are a few ways you could go. If you've come across the identity for sin(theta) in terms of imaginary exponentials, you're being asked to prove a variant on that. Can you think of any way to rearrange/transform the left hand side, or the right hand side to make progress? You can obviously start on either side.

Its not easy to give much more of a hint without telling you what to do, so even if things don't work, describe what you've tried. Your idea of (c+is)^2 is one way to go, what can you do with the 1?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by woffle)
A Level Further Maths

e^2iθ - 1 = 2ie^iθ sinθ

My working:

Given the way you've started (which is perfectly good), I would suggest subtracting your second line of working from your first line of working, and see where that leads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (48)
37.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.45%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
3.94%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (30)
23.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.32%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
7.87%

Watched Threads