would you be happy if your partner had a best friend of the opposite sex?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thoughts on this guys... do you think men and women can be best friends and really be platonic? or will someone always end up catching feelings?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i don't have a problem with the platonic best friend relationship, im not saying its impossible, but i wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't my best friend
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't be happy that they had a best friend of the opposite sex, but it also wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would be very happy if my partner had a best friend of the opposite sex. I wouldn’t ever want to limit my partner from connecting with other people, and I don’t want to be the only close person in their life.

Ideally I’d make them my friend too and team up with them to do nice things for my partner
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 1 month ago
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not at all to be honest.

People can have platonic relationships with the opposite sex but I wouldn't be relaxed or happy if they were his best friend.
Last edited by ashtolga23; 1 month ago
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't care less to be honest, my own best friend is male and seeing as I'm bi I know that people aren't just attracted to any friend they have the possibility of being attracted to, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make a single friend. If I was policing my partner's friendships that would feel overly controlling even if it didn't involve a double standard.
Darya.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
literally could not care less
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes because I'm not possessive, controlling or insecure.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Celtic Conjurer)
Yes because I'm not possessive, controlling or insecure.
PRSOM
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think you're all lying to be honest. Especially those of you are so adamant on 'not caring less'
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wouldnt care.
If you cant even handle your partner having friends, you shouldnt be in a relationship.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think you're all lying to be honest. Especially those of you are so adamant on 'not caring less'
Why ask a question if you're just going to accuse people of lying for answering it?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Foxehh)
Wouldnt care.
If you cant even handle your partner having friends, you shouldnt be in a relationship.
^^^ YUP prsom
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why ask then
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or maybe you're just jealous there are people who aren't as controlling as you..?
Slx.24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sheeeesh someone getting triggered. U asked a question and we gave an answer. Imo I wouldn't mind that my girl has a boy best friend. I wouldn't be happy with it but I would trust them enough to not question thaat much. Though I would make sure to interact with said best friend and see what he's like etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Thoughts on this guys... do you think men and women can be best friends and really be platonic? or will someone always end up catching feelings?
Never been in a relaionship or have had a male best friend but I have had a guy friend. And I did not see him in that way all because of his personality. As a girl I wouldn't want my bf to have a female best friend. Id always compare myself to her, id get jealous etc. If she became like a family friend of us both then that's cool
yellowbeaver
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you'd be a bit weird if you can't have a platonic relationship with the other sex, things arent that deep
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not one second would I have an issue with it, 99.99% of people are talk to are girls so if my girlfriend had a problem with me talking to them then she would not longer be my girlfriend.

I naturally get more along with girls than guys and although I will admit in the past I have had feelings for one of those friends, the vast majority I don't and we have in fact mutually 'freindzoned' each other. As long as boundaries are clear in a relationship/friendship then there is literally no problem with both sexes becoming friends. If anything it's extremely healthy to get someone's view point outside of the 'bubble of masculinity'.

It's all about trust at the end of the day if they just say they are a friend then believe them or not, but not believing them indicates something wrong with the relationship and perhaps you two aren't meant to be together.
Last edited by Max1989; 1 month ago
Kovalensky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd not be happy nor sad, it is what it is. If she wants to cheat on me, she can do so with any man it doesn't have to be a friend. I don't care if her best mate is a guy. I'd rather I was her best mate though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
28.66%
No (229)
71.34%

Watched Threads