mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Argh, we were meant to decide A level choices this January, but I'm still in heavy debate whether to do classical greek or spanish. I feel like the former is more related to the degree I want to do (classics) but the latter may be more versatile in terms of careers.

Can anyone help????????
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
Argh, we were meant to decide A level choices this January, but I'm still in heavy debate whether to do classical greek or spanish. I feel like the former is more related to the degree I want to do (classics) but the latter may be more versatile in terms of careers.

Can anyone help????????
Hi, so I don't do these, but in my opinion I would go with the one you enjoy the most because A-Level languages are really hard so you need to have a passion for it. Also if you want to do classics Greek is quite useful, like you said

hope this helps??
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to do classics you should absolutely study the ancient languages as much as possible before starting, as I understand it makes a huge difference when you are actually on the course.

Also an A-level in a modern language will be meaningless by the time you graduate unless you out in a significant effort to continue developing your ability in that language (which if you're doing a language based degree like classics, will be hard to balance). Having done A-level Spanish 3 Years before you graduate without having done anything else with that language isn't going to even register for recruiters, and you won't have enough background in the language to work in a Spanish language environment, and will barely be able to get by living in a Spanish speaking place while working in an English kanguaget environment.

So I would say definitely do Greek, but I'm also biased a little
mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok, thank you! I think I enjoy Greek a bit more? But it would probably come down to university/career choices and if Greek is potentially better for classics degree, that's really good to know
Darth_Noob
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're doing classics at university, I would say Greek is the best option ( I am assuming you are doing ancient Greek rather than modern Greek). However, I do think Spanish will be a more useful language in the course of life, seeing as a large portion of the world contains Spanish speaking countries, so it will give you a vast amount of career choices! I would recommend learning Spanish on the side, while doing the Greek as the A-Level, if that's possible for you, because then you are getting the best of both worlds.

I will say that Ancient Greek is extremely difficult from an English perspective. I am Greek myself, so I speak Greek fluently, and even for me Ancient Greek is quite difficult to grasp, as the two are very different. But obviously that doesn't mean that you can't learn it!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
Ok, thank you! I think I enjoy Greek a bit more? But it would probably come down to university/career choices and if Greek is potentially better for classics degree, that's really good to know
I didn't see this response until now, but naturally Greek will be the most relevant to the degree. Also I gather for courses where some languages are studied from scratch, usually the biggest gap in ability on graduation in the languages falls along the lines of who did the A-level(s) in the languages and who didn't, so having as much background in the languages as possible is the ideal preparation. It is a necessarily language based degree!

Particularly if you enjoy it more and want to continue to study classics, I can't see any reason not to take it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed