alicegodfrey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi so i originally wanted to take history, spanish and english lit for a level however my school has history and english lit in the same option block so I am not able to do both. History is my passion and my favourite subject so although it is quite sad, I cannot do english lit so I have to pick another subject. I'm stuck between geography, sociology or english language. I really don't like english language but I'm pretty good at it (my predicted grade is a 7) and since i cant do lit i thought it would be a sensible choice. I would like to do geography because I think it's really interesting, not my favourite subject but i enjoyed it at gcse. I also have a 8 predicted grade but I think i might struggle with geography and history since ive heard they are both heavy subjects (as well as with spanish). Also I'm not sure if they would go well together. And there's sociology, Ive never done it before but the concept interests me so I thought i might give it a go. Any advice would be appreciated thank youuuuuu
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicegodfrey)
hi so i originally wanted to take history, spanish and english lit for a level however my school has history and english lit in the same option block so I am not able to do both. History is my passion and my favourite subject so although it is quite sad, I cannot do english lit so I have to pick another subject. I'm stuck between geography, sociology or english language. I really don't like english language but I'm pretty good at it (my predicted grade is a 7) and since i cant do lit i thought it would be a sensible choice. I would like to do geography because I think it's really interesting, not my favourite subject but i enjoyed it at gcse. I also have a 8 predicted grade but I think i might struggle with geography and history since ive heard they are both heavy subjects (as well as with spanish). Also I'm not sure if they would go well together. And there's sociology, Ive never done it before but the concept interests me so I thought i might give it a go. Any advice would be appreciated thank youuuuuu
Hi, don't know if this helps but our teachers told us English Language is completely different at A-Level, so you might find you like it ???
Like different content and stuff. Maybe look at the specification from whatever exam board you do?
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
alicegodfrey
Hello! I lecture in the social sciences so I might be able to give you an overview of Sociology. As a subject there are historical elements, largely going back to the enlightenment period, and I good lecturer will typically bring this to life with lots of historical information. You will also learn concepts such as functionalism (largely 1950's America), Marxism (1800's Europe) and various others and apply them to things in the modern world such as the family, religion, the economy etc.

I'm sure you will do brilliantly at sociology if you chose it, the others seem cool subjects too

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
alicegodfrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by average_human)
Hi, don't know if this helps but our teachers told us English Language is completely different at A-Level, so you might find you like it ???
Like different content and stuff. Maybe look at the specification from whatever exam board you do?
Thank youuuu I'll definitely take a look
alicegodfrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arden University)
alicegodfrey
Hello! I lecture in the social sciences so I might be able to give you an overview of Sociology. As a subject there are historical elements, largely going back to the enlightenment period, and I good lecturer will typically bring this to life with lots of historical information. You will also learn concepts such as functionalism (largely 1950's America), Marxism (1800's Europe) and various others and apply them to things in the modern world such as the family, religion, the economy etc.

I'm sure you will do brilliantly at sociology if you chose it, the others seem cool subjects too

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
that sounds interesting, i shall look into it thank you
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicegodfrey)
Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

When choosing subjects, I would recommend taking into account subjects you are good at, and enjoy as this way you will get the most out of studying these subjects. Don't worry about subjects not going together, there is no bad combination of A-levels. Also consider what you would like to do at university or in the future. It may be worth speaking to your teachers/tutor and see what they advise too. But ultimately it is your decision.

I hope this helps.
Ethan - UOP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads