The Student Room Group

Help- University of York vs Lancaster vs Aberdeen (Law)

Hi guys,

I need help in deciding which university (York or Lancaster or Aberdeen) to choose as my research has led me on a wild goose chase. My main factors to consider are the Russell Group status, nightlife, rankings of the universities in general or for law specifically.

So far I know that the University of Aberdeen is the best for Law but it is also located in a very boring area, this discourages me from opting for it.

The ranking with York and Lancaster confuse me because some lists say they are quite the same while some rank the other higher

Also, I have an offer from Kings College London for History but I am not very inclined towards this as I don't want to have to study history which is a subject I loathed in school

please help me decide with current statistics and solid arguments, thank you :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I need help in deciding which university (York or Lancaster or Aberdeen) to choose as my research has led me on a wild goose chase. My main factors to consider are the Russell Group status, nightlife, rankings of the universities in general or for law specifically.

So far I know that the University of Aberdeen is the best for Law but it is also located in a very boring area, this discourages me from opting for it.

The ranking with York and Lancaster confuse me because some lists say they are quite the same while some rank the other higher

Also, I have an offer from Kings College London for History but I am not very inclined towards this as I don't want to have to study history which is a subject I loathed in school

please help me decide with current statistics and solid arguments, thank you :wink:

If Russell group is important for you then York would be the choice. Yorks city is bigger than Lancasters, and although I love lancaster and my daughter studies there, we also saw York on open day and I think with it being a russell then that would be for you. Both Lancaster and York unis are good. York may have the edge on the nightclubs, but Lancasters got copious amount of bars. And Lancaster has morecambe for seaside fish and chips and a great promenade to walk down. Lancaster also has good train links to Edinburgh, Manchester and Liverpool. York has links to Scarborough (on a bus route on the A64) and Leeds isnt far away either.
Chelsie Angeles a you tube did york law https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClvPlp4z_dRXBaVCHhymXsQ so worth watching her videos.
Depends where you want to practice law afterwards. Scottish degrees usually aren't qualifying in England and would require you to complete elements of the GDL afterwards which would take you from a 3 year degree in England to a 5 year degree (inc. conversion) in Scotland.

York is probably best for reputation (although it doesn't really matter in law) and for nightlife - especially with its proximity to Leeds and transport links. Lancaster university does not have the transport links to anywhere because it is quite rural for nightlife. York is also be more attractive city out of the two as well.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

Hi,

It’s great to hear you’re thinking about studying at York! There’s so much to consider when choosing the right university for you and reputation and the course content is just one aspect of it.

A great place to start if you’d like to know more about what it’s like to study Law at York is to check out our student blogs. They can give you an insight into a typical day as a Law student and you can find out the best bits about the department.

It’s also a good idea to have a look at the cities and decide which you think best suits you. York is a great city with loads of history and there’s plenty going on. There are opportunities to listen to some live music, a selection of festivals and it’s great for shopping and eating out. In terms of night life, the student union organises regular student nights and there are plenty of bars and pubs in the city centre. Leeds is also only a 20 minute train journey away if you’re looking for bigger clubs.

If you’re looking for some information on student life more generally to help make your decision then you can find out about our college system, accommodation and societies.

I hope this helps a little bit with your decision but please just let me know if you have any more questions about studying at York!

Rachel 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending