King’s History BA or University of Nottingham Law (LLB) for Commercial Law?

Watch
s1711
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which degree is a better option if I want to go into commercial law and work at a magic/silver city law firm?
wifd149
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve seen people that did either of these and they’re fine. The only thing to bear in mind is the GDL if you’re choosing history.
Last edited by wifd149; 1 month ago
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
surely both of these unis and courses are more than reputable
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by s1711)
Which degree is a better option if I want to go into commercial law and work at a magic/silver city law firm?
They're both perfectly fine recruitment route is just slightly different, BA History + GDL + SQE or LLB Law + SQE so it's an extra year for the history, if that doesn't bother you/you like the degree better go for it
s1711
Rep:
?
(Original post by wifd149)
I’ve seen people that did either of these and they’re fine. The only thing to bear in mind is the GDL if you’re choosing history.
Would Nottingham Law not put me at a disadvantage compared to UCL / Oxbridge Students though? If I got the grades would it not be a good idea to take a gap year?
s1711
Rep:
?
(Original post by chalbliagtelle)
They're both perfectly fine recruitment route is just slightly different, BA History + GDL + SQE or LLB Law + SQE so it's an extra year for the history, if that doesn't bother you/you like the degree better go for it
So neither would give me an upper hand essentially?
Rs77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kings is better
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by s1711)
Both universities have active law societies and offer a wide range of employer engagement events that will help you get more information on the sector yada yada. It comes down to you.
(Original post by s1711)
Would Nottingham Law not put me at a disadvantage compared to UCL / Oxbridge Students though? If I got the grades would it not be a good idea to take a gap year?
If you're asking this question, change the OP so that people don't waste time on the KCL vs Nottingham pissing fest.

Taking a year out to jump from Nottingham/KCL to possibly UCL and possibly Oxbridge is a waste of time given the employers you're aiming for. You'd be better off spending that time paralegalling or working in a client-side sector for a year. Full time work experience (as opposed to 'daddy let me shadow him for a week'-style work experience) is greatly valued by most law firms.
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by s1711)
No, someone from KCL who's done like one thing in terms of extracurriculars would not be valued above a student from nottingham who has a bit more about them. I know plenty of llb nottingham alumni who are working at "top" city firms
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise