Why do I have so many science lessons if im only doing double?

Watch
joshy36
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have just recieved my timetable for my first GCSE term and for some reason, even though im taking double science I will be doing 3 double lessons with three different teachers (One assigned to each double lesson), I assumed they were for different topics (Physics, Biology, Chemistry) butIi would only be getting two GCSEs so how would that work?

Does anybody know why it's done like this because I'm really annoyed I have so many science lessons for something i have no interest inand very few lessons on my chosen GCSE's.
Last edited by joshy36; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by joshy36)
So I have just recieved my timetable for my first GCSE term and for some reason, even though im taking double science I will be doing 3 double lessons with three different teachers (One assigned to each double lesson), I assumed they were for different topics (Physics, Biology, Chemistry) butIi would only be getting two GCSEs so how would that work?

Does anybody know why it's done like this because I'm really annoyed I have so many science lessons for something i have no interest inand very few lessons on my chosen GCSE's.
Isn't it the same for English? Even though you only get 2 GCSEs (English Lit and English Language) you have it a lot on your timetable? And you have lots of maths on your timetable too despite only getting one GCSE out of it? It's because they are very important core subjects so schools want to give people the best chance of passing them.
joshy36
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Isn't it the same for English? Even though you only get 2 GCSEs (English Lit and English Language) you have it a lot on your timetable? And you have lots of maths on your timetable too despite only getting one GCSE out of it? It's because they are very important core subjects so schools want to give people the best chance of passing them.
Yes, but for those I have 4 separate periods, and 3 total periods for my choices but for science there are 6 periods total and like I say each double lesson has a different teacher?
AestheticStudying
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi there!
Science, English and Maths are the core subjects for GCSE so you will have them a lot every week.
Also, for combined science, you do 6 lessons of science per week and yours are in the form of double periods. For triple science is more btw, 9 lessons per week.
Science is one of the compulsory subjects for GCSE so that's why you have it so much
Hope this helps x
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, but for those I have 4 separate periods, and 3 total periods for my choices but for science there are 6 periods total and like I say each double lesson has a different teacher?
You're doing Combined Science (2 GCSEs) in 6 lessons and your choices (1 GCSE each ) in 3 periods each - that's the same no. of lessons per GCSE so what's the problem?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
You're doing Combined Science (2 GCSEs) in 6 lessons and your choices (1 GCSE each ) in 3 periods each - that's the same no. of lessons per GCSE so what's the problem?
Maybe maths isn't a favourite subject either :dontknow:
Always_Confused
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For combined science, you still sit separate exam papers (or you do on some exam boards anyway). Chances are you will sit a biology paper, a chemistry paper and a physics paper.
Although there isn't as much content in the spec as triple science, you still need to learn a fair bit for each science. You're actually in quite a good position to have a different teacher and dedicated double lesson for each science. It will only increase your chances of doing well!
joshy36
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Other core subjects like English with 2 gcse and are core but only have 2 periods
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Other core subjects like English with 2 gcse and are core but only have 2 periods
It's probably the only subject where you only have 23 lessons per GCSE. What happens for Maths?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (152)
43.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (73)
21.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.8%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.76%

Watched Threads