What is the reason for going down of surrey’s guardian ranking?

Watch
Denvaus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I found university of surrey’s guardian ranking keeps going down. It used to be ranked very high in mid 2010s, but began to decrease 3 or 4 years ago. In specific indices, student to staff ratio increased and spend per student diminished.
What is the reason for this? What happened to the surrey?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They changed VC to one who prioritised a recruiting some more students over league table rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...sity_of_Surrey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Lu...sity_of_Surrey
WhatIsLife1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
They changed VC to one who prioritised a recruiting some more students over league table rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...sity_of_Surrey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Lu...sity_of_Surrey
As someone who goes to the uni, this uni has also developed a culture of protesting anything the uni management does, and having unreasonably high expectations.

If essays are not marked within a single week, people complain. The uni tried hiring more research and teaching stuff, and getting rid of admin staff (because the uni has way too many, and is bloated with admin staff) but the students voted against it because apparently it was 'evil', but then they complained that there weren't enough teaching staff to satisfy their needs.

This uni isn't perfect, but the student culture here is to complain, complain and complain.
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Denvaus)
Hello, I found university of surrey’s guardian ranking keeps going down. It used to be ranked very high in mid 2010s, but began to decrease 3 or 4 years ago. In specific indices, student to staff ratio increased and spend per student diminished.
What is the reason for this? What happened to the surrey?
Hello, thank you for your message. The UK league tables all use slightly different measures. The Guardian for example, has a heavier focus on the National Student Survey, and 'value added' (1st and 2:1 degrees compared to entry qualifications), but doesn't give a weighting to research output. The Times/Sunday Times by point of comparison gives significant weighting to research and the national student survey. The Complete University Guide has a similar, but slightly differently weighted approach again.

Surrey’s position varies by 20, depending on which table you look at and these can change on a year to year basis (similar for other universities too). There are other league tables too, like the THE World Rankings, QS world rankings, there's even a Graduate Outcomes Survey (ranked 12th in the UK 2020) and the QS World Employability rankings! (Where we ranked first in the UK and 7th in the world for placements and research partnerships with employers 2019).

The NSS is a survey taken annually by final year students. Surrey has been working incredibly hard, and will continue to do so, on providing the best student experience we can for our students throughout their time here. Whilst league tables are a part of the decision making process (subject league tables are important to consider too), other factors need to be considered such as the university being the right fit for you as a student. This has been challenging over the past year with the pandemic. We would recommend attending open days or a campus tour in the next few months or using the university live chat function, called Unibuddy to speak to current students. They will be able to give you a taster of life at the university and help you with your decision.

Happy to answer any other questions you have!
Chloe
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Guardian methodology does not place a “heavier focus” on NSS compared to the Times and Complete rankings. It’s actually the opposite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads