brxvebird
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello

I’ll be applying to study a foundation degree in Counselling Studies through the University of Sunderland next year. The course is part time and two years long, so eligible for a tuition fee loan.

I did a year of previous study at a different university on a totally different course in 2018 but dropped out in my last term of first year as I fell pregnant.

When it comes to finishing my foundation degree, the University of Sunderland offer a 1 year BA top up course. It’s a natural progression that most students do, but after looking online and seeing how SFE work out how many years of funding they offer, will I be able to get it funded?

The website says
Length of new course (2 fda) + one additional year – years of previous study (1) = the number of years the student can get funding, which would be 2 and cover the fda but not the top up. But I’ve also seen that top up years are worked out differently.

Any guidance? Thanks.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Top-ups are worked out differently. The bit that can cause problems is if students take a gap year (or more) between completing an FdA and taking the top up.

However even outside that you should be able to get your previous year study ignored due to Compelling Personal Reasons if you can send through evidence of your pregnancy leading to you leaving your course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (196)
43.85%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.19%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.83%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
21.03%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed