ollyeland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys! I am applying for a sports and management course in uni soon and I need to write my personal statement.

1. Does anyone have any rhetorical questions that can be used in my opening sentence?

2. Does anyone know what I should write. in my opening paragraph?

Thanks!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ollyeland)
Hey guys! I am applying for a sports and management course in uni soon and I need to write my personal statement.

1. Does anyone have any rhetorical questions that can be used in my opening sentence?

2. Does anyone know what I should write. in my opening paragraph?

Thanks!
Hey ollyeland,

What's your reasoning for using a rhetorical question in your opening sentence?

Why do you want to apply for that course, what do you like about the course, what do you hope to learn (or what are you excited about if you get on the course) and what do you want to achieve?

The purpose of your personal statement is to sell yourself to the admissions tutors to give you an offer on their course. So, keep in mind to get to the point without making your personal statement sound too showy and flattering. Don't think too hard about writing your personal statement, but rather write from the heart and what comes naturally about why you're interested in studying sports and management. Your interest and enthusiasm for the course will show throughout at that point.

Your best bet would be to be specific and to go straight in.
Your opening paragraph needs to show you know what you're applying for. So, don't just state the course, because the admissions tutors know. Explain why you're applying and explain what you find interesting about it. If writing the introduction is proving difficult, then get straight into writing the body of the personal statement and leave it to last. Your main body is the most important part as that's when the tutors will really get an idea of who you are. Try to link your conclusion with your introduction as this will give a sense of closure and flow to your personal statement (think of a cyclic approach).

It doesn't matter if what you're writing isn't what you want it to be as it's best to write a draft and then refine it as you go along. Get your friends, family, and teachers to read it and get their feedback as they will know how to help you neaten your personal statement.

Writing a personal statement is one of those where it's easy to overthink and not know where to begin or how to write, but try to avoid overcomplicating it. For the majority of students, the personal statement is often overlooked by the admissions tutors so don't get overly bogged down about writing the perfect personal statement, just as long as you get your points across and you've done your best, then you've done your job.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check out this guidance on PSs generally: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418

Ultimately, rhetorical questions are a waste of space
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.26%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.87%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
23.91%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.17%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.39%

Watched Threads